Clouds

Started by mcoser, March 04, 2009, 06:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcoser

Hi to all, i'm a new terragen user (i'm not using terragen2 'cause my computer is too slow) i wanted to know if there is a way to get more than one layer of clouds, or get a stormy sky.

chefc

Welcome to Planetside
Great surfacing to start
To address your cloud ? Multi clouds are not available in Terragen  but that does not mean that great clouds cannot be achieved Please look over the image I've included adjusting the thickness to 77 from default 8 and in the Cloud generate tab I increased the the cloud size itself to a more single cloud by moving the slider to the left  I also increased the persistence a little from default.
Ihope this info is helpful as Terragen is an excellent program Try it out and always experiment,
also in my screenshot I checked 3D makes it more billowy IMO 
Chef C  ;)

Serving the masses  8)

mcoser

Thanx for the imput... i tried a few times the 3d clouds but taked a lot of time to render, wich is not a problem if your goal is a single image, but i want to make an animation...  here is a comparison of a 3d cloud (2 of thickness) and a 2d cloud sky

neuspadrin

for clouds, tg is limited to one layer, if you wanted to do multiple layers you need to go up to tg2, which comes with SOO many nice new features its worth a computer upgrade.

to get stormy clouds, im sure theres some tutorials out there if you google them.  terragen had many great tutorials out there still.

storm clouds:
http://www.terranuts.com/index.php?page=storm_clouds

clouds in general and how to use them:
http://www.basinski-net.de/tutorials/clouds/clouds.htm

whenever they say 3d, just use 2d instead and it will be mostly the same.  except slightly lower quality but much better render times.

just out of curiosity what kind of specs does the machine have that you are doing this on?

what resolution are you attempting to animate at?  to you what is a "long time" to render?

i just ran quick renders testing tg demo speeds on my core 2 duo 2.4ghz laptop. keep in mind origional tg doesnt use both cores.  with a very simple scene, 3d clouds, everything on highest details i could bump it to 640x480, took exactly 4 minutes to render.  with only switching the 3d to 2d made my render take 55 seconds.  2d with lower quality took 20 seconds or less.

so even on this machine, lets say i run 2 tg's at the same time each doing half the work so both cores get used. with 2d clouds, thats 2 frames every ~minute.  so in 15 minutes of render i could have 1 second of video at 30frames/second.  one minute of video would be 15 hours of rendering this very very simple scene.  and thats with something very simple (just loaded in, generated terrain, and made some 2d clouds, and set it to highest quality render).   Now granted, by cutting the quality down a notch or two, you can get a frame done in 20 seconds or so decentish quality.  but still, that's 5 hours to do 1 minute of video. 

All this on core 2 duo running 2 copies of terragen at same time each doing half the work.  so double that time to get it on one core alone, and then also a lot longer depending on your processor speed. 

Animation is really best set for higher end machines.  With i7's being out now, core2 machines are starting to get price slashes, and arn't to expensive, and if you're using a computer that can't run tg2, its getting to time to upgrade, no offense.

mcoser

Yes, i know i need a new computer, but i have many other things to buy (camera gear and acessories, wich is more important to me since i shoot things for others and not for myself). I don't remember the specs (i'm at work now) but is five year old with some various upgrades.

I'm rendereing at a resolution of 1024x768 (to mix with live footage from my camera wich is 900x560)... i tried rendering at 900x660 but when imported into PremierePro the terragen file looks smaller than the camera one.

The problem with 2d clouds is that it looks good if is a single image, but if is an animation it looks really like a flat plane in the sky with no depth. 

Here is a small test i did a few days ago (mixing terragen and live footage), the first terragen sequence (up to 00.07) look fake, but the next is better.

http://www.vimeo.com/3407121

I'm trying to make a short fantasy movie, and -if possible- make some small sequences with terragen beetween one scene or the other

neuspadrin

Hmm you're fog value feels a little high inside the video, that would steal some of the "depth" of the sky as it would limit how much sky you actually see.  Also it seemed like there was barely any clouds in the animation to really compare to.

mcoser

Well, this was an example of my target: mixing terragen with real footage (my bad for not explaining). Yes, the first sequence shows too much fog, but the second has less fog and match the real camera footage.