The inevitable, "the natives are getting restless, where's the update?" Thread

Started by gregsandor, March 10, 2009, 08:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Well this is a little worrying. One can only speculate as to why Greenworks are making anouncements about Planetside products and development, hmmm I'm starting to wonder if theres more to this than meets the eye. Grassy knoll anyone :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: cyphyr on March 11, 2009, 08:44:16 AM
Well this is a little worrying. One can only speculate as to why Greenworks are making anouncements about Planetside products and development, hmmm I'm starting to wonder if theres more to this than meets the eye. Grassy knoll anyone :)
Richard

You mean like Greenworks kind of "bought" Planetside?

chefc

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on March 11, 2009, 10:08:08 AM
Quote from: cyphyr on March 11, 2009, 08:44:16 AM
Richard

You mean like Greenworks kind of "bought" Planetside?

Planetside ???
Chef C  ;)

Serving the masses  8)

PG

IQ dropping ;D Well there that thread recently where Xfrog said they were going to release more free plants for the terragen release and let slip that they would be releasing at the same time as TG2 which would be March 31st (I think). About a page of posts later Matt came in and "confirmed" it. To be honest I think planetside didn't want to announce it so soon because of the way people get riled up if the release is 5 seconds late, and Xfrog dropped the ball forcing Matt to affirm the march date.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

rcallicotte

@PG, you should be a news reporter.  That was pretty succinct.  Though, I'd bet Matt would recant that he was forced to do anything.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

otakar

I think Cyphyr may be onto something. And you guys did not honestly expect a March release, did ya? Past performance is relevant in this case. I am just hoping there will be a bit of a notice as promised to snag that pre-Gold price.

cyphyr

Quote from: PG on March 11, 2009, 10:49:11 AM
.... releasing at the same time as TG2 which would be March 31st (I think).....
Lets hope its not a day late :)
richard
ps I was only joshing about the conspiracy stuff, hang on, Elvis just popped round to borrow my Area 51 plans
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

buzzzzz1

People get riled up if the release is 5 seconds late,, Oh Please!  I guess you don't remember in December of 2007, yes 2007,
when Matt announced the release would be on Jan 4th 2008. That quote is below:

Planetside Software is pleased to announce the release date of its flagship product, Terragen 2, for 1st quarter 2008.

Terragen 2 Deep Edition will be released on the 15th of February, 2008 and will be available initially in a download-only format.
A beta version will be released on the 4th of January, 2008 to licensed users. Final pricing for the Deep Edition will be announced
closer to release and discounts will continue to be available for upgrades from Terragen v0.9 and for academic use.
Pre-release pricing for Terragen 2 will continue until the 15th of February. The complete Animation module, with significantly
enhanced animation tools will be made available later in 2008.

Then one day before the release was to come out Matt came in here and said the release was being delayed. That quote is below:

Hi all,

I'm sorry to announce that the Beta version which was due to be released on the 4th of January will be delayed.
Unexpected complications have meant that I have been unable to complete some important work on the improved renderer,
and we feel it is important that the Beta should be a fully functioning test version of the final release. The length of the delay is
uncertain, but should be no more than a few weeks. The final release may also be delayed by a few weeks accordingly.
I apologise for the late announcement. Until recently we had every reason to believe that the Beta would be ready on time.

Did you notice where He said : (should be no more than a few weeks)  That's been over a year ago! And you wonder why people get riled up?   Give me a break!  Ever time someone
asks about a release some of you give us a bunch of crap for asking. If you knew the history you might feel the same way.

I think by now we have the right to ask any thing we want.

Good Day Folks!
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

PG

Buzz I've been here longer than you have, I'm well aware of Planetside's history, hence my Valve Time remark. Also Matt admitted his mistake their so stop drudging up the past. And no, I don't think we have a right to ask for anything we want, simply because this is pre release software, it has bugs, they need to be fixed. Yeah it took an insanely long time but that's what happens with software development. Planetside do a helluva lot better job than most companies who release pre release versions of their products (Microsoft).

I'm sick and tired of these bloody "consumer rights" lobbyists. You paid for a product in the state that it was in at that time, that means you accept the flaws that it has. It doesn't mean you have the right to demand fixes for things that they're trying to fix anyway. As soon as governments give people rights they think that it's God given and can't be refuted.
They're working on it, so sit down and shadddap.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

matrix2003

"Agrees with PG"  Drop the past.  We do not need anymore 'Harvey Birdman' moments around here.  Put the torches away.  Just be patient.   ;D
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

reck

Quote from: matrix2003 on March 11, 2009, 04:25:10 PM
We do not need anymore 'Harvey Birdman' moments around here. 

Oh that sent a shiver down my spine when you said that, we certainly do not want any more of those moments.

buzzzzz1

Quote from: PG on March 11, 2009, 04:13:22 PM
Buzz I've been here longer than you have, I'm well aware of Planetside's history, hence my Valve Time remark. Also Matt admitted his mistake their so stop drudging up the past. And no, I don't think we have a right to ask for anything we want, simply because this is pre release software, it has bugs, they need to be fixed. Yeah it took an insanely long time but that's what happens with software development. Planetside do a helluva lot better job than most companies who release pre release versions of their products (Microsoft).

I'm sick and tired of these bloody "consumer rights" lobbyists. You paid for a product in the state that it was in at that time, that means you accept the flaws that it has. It doesn't mean you have the right to demand fixes for things that they're trying to fix anyway. As soon as governments give people rights they think that it's God given and can't be refuted.
They're working on it, so sit down and shadddap.

Isn't freedom of speech great!  Don't tell me to shut up!  BTW.......I've been around and using Terrragen for approx. 9 years.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Zylot

Quote from: matrix2003 on March 11, 2009, 04:25:10 PM
"Agrees with PG"  Drop the past.  We do not need anymore 'Harvey Birdman' moments around here.  Put the torches away.  Just be patient.   ;D

Yeah I'm getting Deja Vu vibes 'ere..

neuspadrin

I think that's the reason why he hid it inside the xfrog thread.  That way those who dig could get a lil info on the release, without really officially having to say he was for sure.  As last time it just created chaos. 

Personally as long as I keep seeing improvement in releases that are stable, I'm happy. 

Around when multicore support came out and was not crashing a lot like the first one, I was happy with the product overall, just needed some touchups and few bug fixes.  Which it seems to be getting and can't wait for it soon.  I'd rather have it slow and steady instead of rushed development.

I mean, planetside could've called the beta release if they wanted, they couldve called a few other tech previews "release", but they didn't.  They have their own standards set high, and want a lot of nice features in it.  Afterall, even after release they have a list of new little additions they want to get done for us, such as a 64bit version.

So far I'm happy because of the release of:
- multi core
- transparent water
- paint shader
- undo/redo

And one thing I'd love to see is the texture limit addressed, which he has mentioned.