CPU Usage

Started by buzzzzz1, March 17, 2009, 11:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzzzz1

Hi! Happy St. Patrick's Day! 

I have a render cooking and while watching the "task manager" I noticed the TG cpu usage is fluctuating. I'm rendering on 2 cores with minimum thread set at 2 and max at 16. CPU usage is going from 100% dropping to 97 then 50, up to 55 then back to 100. It continues to do this in 3 second cycles. Never noticed this before? Is this normal behavior?

Be sure to enjoy a green beer today.  :D

My system specs are below.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

neuspadrin

This is normal.  I believe its when it starts up a new group of calculations cpu usage will drop slightly as its starts up then scale back up to full usage as it gets to cranking numbers, then drop again when new calculations are needed.  Also some programs occasionally will steal a little cpu power to do something for themselves if you running anything in background or such.

buzzzzz1

Oh, OK Thanks, I knew someone could explain that.  Hmmmm?  I wonder if I used Prealocate subdiv cache, would the render move along faster? Might have to try that and see.  Thanks Again!
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

rcallicotte

Would you let us know, Buzzzzz?  The CPU can be sort of an important part of what I do on my computer every day.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

buzzzzz1

Quote from: calico on March 17, 2009, 11:29:52 AM
Would you let us know, Buzzzzz?  The CPU can be sort of an important part of what I do on my computer every day.

Sure, just tried checking Prealocate subdiv cache and it made little difference. Oh well, back to the render.
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

neuspadrin

isn't reallocate most useful in testing to see if something will happen memory wise later in the render? good for detecting errors earlier?

buzzzzz1

Quote from: neuspadrin on March 17, 2009, 11:46:51 AM
isn't reallocate most useful in testing to see if something will happen memory wise later in the render? good for detecting errors earlier?

Yeah, I think so, like you said rather than getting almost to the end of a render to have it crash.

Hey, I'm just throwing things up against the wall to see what will stick. LOL    Trying to get the most out of my cpu.  Maybe when TG goes 64 bit I will see a difference?

Cheers!
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

rcallicotte

YAH, baby!!!   ;D

Quote from: buzzzzz1 on March 17, 2009, 12:01:32 PM
Maybe when TG goes 64 bit I will see a difference?

Cheers!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Moose

I believe it's the anti-aliasing (it must only be single threaded). I first noticed it when we got the new AA filters. Popping the filter back to Box (the old default, I believe) and you should notice less cpu time spent below 100%. Turning off AA Bloom helps too.

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Moose on March 17, 2009, 01:33:38 PM
I believe it's the anti-aliasing (it must only be single threaded). I first noticed it when we got the new AA filters. Popping the filter back to Box (the old default, I believe) and you should notice less cpu time spent below 100%. Turning off AA Bloom helps too.

Ah! I see, thank you Moose.  :)
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS