Global Illumination Test (with images)

Started by moodflow, January 22, 2007, 10:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodflow

I also ran some tests on changing Global Illumination (both GI settings were increased).  The changes were consistent, except when it got to the last one, where it seemed to give the image a bit more depth, surprisingly causing more dark areas, rather than blowing the image out.  Be sure to check out the images in an image viewer for quick compare. 

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Dark Fire

Those images are very interesting and useful for judging the quality that should be used for the desired effects. Thanks!

§ardine

wow cool,
I would have never thought you would have darker regions on that last one.
but I agree, it does give the image more depth
this will be a good thing to keep in mind on my next render   :)
thanks moodflow

buchvecny

yeah, when i experimented with GI my results were similar. Too bad GI is basically unsuable after 2.0 quality.

FrankB

I don't think this image is a good test case for GI. THe effect on the atmosphere is near zero, as there's no light bouncing up from the ground, and the effect on the surface is near zero too, as the sky is so dark, that very little bouncing light can actually illuminate the terrain so that it becomes visible.

Regards,
Frank

Oshyan

I would tend to agree. Although GI will have an effect in the atmosphere, it is more noticeable with larger/thicker clouds. The lack of significant lighting on the terrain or even in the sky (the sky is lit, but at a low level of intensity) means that there is really little effect from GI at all. It does have an effect of course, but it's so subtle that I don't think the render time of setting 8 would be worthwhile. There are other ways to achieve that darkening and "depth". Also keep in mind that the overall render detail interacts with the Relative Detail setting, and that Relative Detail and Sample Quality can be altered independently for different effects.

- Oshyan