3d modeling

Started by neuspadrin, April 23, 2009, 09:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neuspadrin

Hey,

One of my goals for over the summer is to learn how to use 3d modeling programs better then my current attempts of messing around ;)  As of right now I've been thinking of using Blender due to its decent sized community tutorials and such, and its great price (free is nice ;)).

I was just wondering if any of you have experience with Blender or similar apps, with good suggestions of any books/online tutorials, words of wisdom, etc.

I figure if I can learn enough in Blender, and save enough cash over the summer, I might look around for a better modeler for a decent price.  Currently modo is top of my list for possible purchases if I do learn enough to decide to get one.  It has a educational license for a decent price, and after you buy that theres a low cost upgrade fee to take it to commercial use if I wanted.  Seems like a good deal, plus the 401 features rolling out look good.  Any other suggestions of what I should look into modeler/renderer wise?

Thanks!

rcallicotte

Many tight communities exist among Silo, Blender, zBrush, Messiah, MoI, Houdini (can't remember everyone) users, where you can get in and learn.  I'd recommend finding some easy free tutorials for whichever software you attempt and stick with each project until you learn that lesson.  Then go to the next lesson.  Here's a good site to get some basic 3D understanding (the GuerrillaCG tutorials hosted on the creator of Silo's site) - http://www.nevercenter.com/videos/tutorials/?vidclip=GuerrillaCGPolygon.mov

The temptation is to think another package has something you don't have in your present package.  To overcome that need to buy and buy lots of packages, you can guarantee the software package you have will not do everything and you can do whatever you do well by sticking with it.

Before you commit to one package, it might be better to go to their forums and ask questions or just listen to their conversations to see what they're like.  Are they helpful?  Friendly or feisty?  Ask others who have various packages what they think.  Try the demos one at a time (not all at once - too much info at once can constipate the brain). 

One last thing to realize - eventually you will work out a pipeline of two or three (maybe more) packages from which you will forge your creations.  This will take time, but you will someday probably have at least two, if not three or four, software packages that you string together to complete your work.

Good luck.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dwilson

I know a lot of people don't like Autodesk because they seem to devour any competition, but..

They have a student community where you can download most of their software for free.  Their big software like 3ds Max, Maya, and MudBox are only trials, but many other ones are 14 month licences that can be renewed.
Autodesk Student Community

neuspadrin

The way I figure it, after using blender for awhile and learning the basics of modeling on it, I will sorta gain a better knowledge of what I would like and what features I would like for when I decide to buy one, thus allowing me to use trials to actually gauge if I'd like the software, versus now where I'd sit confused for awhile then trial would be over ;).

Also, the student editions are very wide it seems in what they offer, what time they give, what features are enabled/disabled, watermarks, etc...  One of the reasons I like modo's theory on it, is that they have the educational edition thats very easy and reasonable to upgrade up to commercial should I want to.  Kinda beats trialing something then them saying fork over few thousandish ;)

freelancah

I recomend you try houdini. They have a apprentiece learning program that allows you to use the program for free. Downside is a watermark and some other minor things but you can get rid of those with a small fee of 99$. I suggest you also take a peak at this link before you choose what you want to go for http://www.cgenie.com/articles/104-cg-community-survey-upgrades-09.html

Walli

houdini is great and as you say, they have a great offer. But if its more about plain modelling, then its to much I think.
Silo has been mentioned. Its a great modelling tool with good community and many tutorials - and its a real bargain. Then one could mention Wings3D - also a good modeller and for free.

If you of course want to do more then just modelling, then Blender is a good choice, Houdini or one of the Autodesk student licencses also could be of interest. I am using Cinema4D which also is extremly powerful and very usable. They also have student versions and such.
Truespace from Caligari (they re now Google or Microsoft I think) also should be mentioned, especially because its free.

rcallicotte

I forgot Wings3D.  How could I?  Glad Walli mentioned it.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?