Render Error

Started by sjefen, March 21, 2009, 09:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjefen

AA filters are the same as Pixel filters right?
I use Catmull-Rom and I have conifer populations. I like this filter best in most cases.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Oshyan

Yes, correct.

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

By the way, I know we have a post with examples of every AA filter type. But is there a list that shows all pro's and con's of each filter?
Howgh!

sjefen

Well... the render didn't make it.

I decided to reduce the AA and I added another object to the scene. Also, I reduced a lot of other settings so I could do a crop render, but the render takes forever to start. It finishes the GI prepass and then whaits forever to start rendering.

I took a look at the CPU usage and it only uses about 30%. Then it starts rendering and goes up to the nomal. After rendering a little bit, it stops and drops down to about 30% again and waits a long time before start rendering.

EDIT: I also noticed the logo that is supposed to be in the top, left corner of the program is not there anymore.

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

buzzzzz1

Hi Terje,

Wow, sounds like you are having a tough go at this scene. I've had a few of those myself and it is very aggravating to say the least. I'm wondering if you have installed 64 bit and have dual boot on your machine yet? If so you should have access to more that 2 gig of memory for TG when booting to 64 bit.  Another thing I haven't noticed you mention is if you have high sampled clouds and high quality atmosphere setting applied to the scene? That with some of the other settings could be the problem. But my guess is something is messed up with your Operating system. I think I would (if you haven't already) do some research on dual boot operating systems. I'm no geek either but it sounds like you can boot into 32 bit without a CD, but then you need the CD to boot to 64 bit? Not sure but that doesn't sound normal. If your BIOS is set to boot from the hard drives that your operating system is on then you shouldn't need the CD.  Just thinking out loud here and someone with more knowledge than myself may be able to suggest the correct solutions.

Good Luck Terje,
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

sjefen

Hi buzzzzz,

Yeah. I'm almoast giving up the whole thing.

I have high quality for both cloud and atmosphere, but nothing to violent.

About my operating system. I had a friend setting it all up and he really knows his stuff. He is really good with computers. I know he has done this thing many, many times and he didn't understand why it woudn't work on my computer. My computer just wouldn't let me have both 32 bit and 64 bit.

Right now I just want to format the whole thing and make my computer run on 64 bit only.

I'm really frustrated right now. I finally have something I want to render out with some extra pixels, but I can't. Wtf ???

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

buzzzzz1

Quote from: sjefen on March 22, 2009, 12:56:23 PM
Hi buzzzzz,

Yeah. I'm almoast giving up the whole thing.

I have high quality for both cloud and atmosphere, but nothing to violent.

About my operating system. I had a friend setting it all up and he really knows his stuff. He is really good with computers. I know he has done this thing many, many times and he didn't understand why it woudn't work on my computer. My computer just wouldn't let me have both 32 bit and 64 bit.

Right now I just want to format the whole thing and make my computer run on 64 bit only.

I'm really frustrated right now. I finally have something I want to render out with some extra pixels, but I can't. Wtf ???

- Terje

I was going to suggest going with just 64 bit but didn't want to push it since you were already frustrated. I went 64 bit a while back and have no regrets. I do have 8 gig of ram but even with 4 gig and background apps and services running that you only need you should be fine. With 64 bit I have only seen the memory usage by TG go up around 2.5 or so and not many problems so far. I usually do my final renders at quality 1, AA at 6 mostly using catmull-rom or mitchell-netravali, GI at 2/2 with both boxes checked. Render most scenes at 1680X1050 resolution. Render times are so far very acceptable. Yeah, I say 64 bit is the way to go!  Just be patient, save your scene and render after the re-install, I think you will be much happier! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers,
Jay
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

cyphyr

Just a small addition, almost all 32 bit apps will work just fine under a 64 bit OS, they just wont be optamised for the added performance 64 bit gives you. The only issues I have had are that 32 bit plugins for lightwave wont work in a 64 bit version of lightwave so to use them I have had to install both 32 and 64 bit versions of lightwave, you may have similar issues but as you see theyre easliy worked about. :)
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

neuspadrin

Since switching to 64bit on my desktop (as soon as I built it ;), only put 32bit on it for 2 days while i waited for my 64 cd), no regrets, and I have yet to find something that won't run (well, won't run due to 64bit). 

sjefen

Yeah. I will switch to 64 bit only, but not right now. I am really a noob with computer so I need some help and right now I'm not in the mood for something that may cause me some more troubles.

It is good to hear Terragen runs fine on 64 bit and it is also good to know Planetside will work on a 64 bit version after the gold release.

I guess, for now, I'll just have to sit my ass down and be patient.

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

PG

See, now I switched to Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 and after a couple of days the processor started making a pretty high pitched screech on performing the slightest task and also blue screens. I went into XP which is still x86 and nothing, switch back and I have the same screeching. So I change the CPU and RAM, format the hard drive and reinstall both Vista and 7 and it still happens. So I put the 32 bit disc of Vista in and installed that and it works fine.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

neuspadrin

That's incredibly odd.

Mohawk20

Just curious...
How often have you restarted your pc since this problem occurred?
Howgh!

sjefen

Many times ::)
I have even reinstalled Terragen 2.

I just installed a driver on my Windows 64 bit and the sky now looks normal, but I also just noticed Terragen can only find 1 of my 4 cores.
How can I make it use them all in 64 bit?

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Oshyan

For a permanent fix, go to Edit->Preferences->Startup and check "Override automatic number of cores detection" then set preferred number of cores to 4. You can always customize this per Render node as well if you want to use less cores in a particular case.

- Oshyan