GI Crop Thoughts

Started by neuspadrin, March 21, 2009, 01:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neuspadrin

As cropped renders that are then stitched together have the issue of the GI calculations getting off due the cropping, I was wondering if its possible to program in the Crop Region tab if its possible to do like a "force full GI pass", where it calculates all the GI for the image, but only fully renders the cropped area, and would then share GI for each crop and fix the issue.  This would allow the optional choice to do it, where you would take a little bit of a hit on the GI pass due to doing the entire image, but it would still allow cropping an image to cut down the overall render time.

Oshyan

Yes, this is an option we've considered. We are still working out the best long-term solution to these issues. Most likely it's something that will have to be fixed after release. But we are definitely working to address it.

- Oshyan

domdib

It's v good to hear that this issue is on the "to-do" list, especially for those of us who don't have 'monster rigs'  :)

Mr_Lamppost

Just a though but would it be useful to save the results of the GI pass to a file for later use?  I have seen similar options to save the radiosity calculations in other applications although I have never used them.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Mohawk20

If that would be possible, it would also be very interesting to see what happens if you load the GI pass from an entirely (and significantly) different scene... It could result in some very funky images.
Howgh!

jaf

I know this is slightly off topic, but I saw the word "stitched" and wondered if anyone has tried the free Microsoft Ice (  http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ICE/  ) with TG2?

I tried it on some photo panoramas and was impressed in how easy and efficient it was, including the auto crop at the end.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

jaf

I just wanted to add, a free companion program to ICE is WPanorama ( http://www.wpanorama.com/wpanorama.php?r=1238046684 ).

This program is a panorama viewer/screen saver generator and works great, especially for free.

I tried making a few quick TG2 panorama's and as expected, ICE worked flawlessly (it's much easier to render out a sequence of images than trying to shoot them with a camera and no tripod.)

There are applications like Starry Night, a real time planetarium software package, that lets you install a panorama from your viewing position.  Usually these are made from photos, but there's no reason a nice TG2 panorama couldn't be used.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Mohawk20

Jaf, Why not start a new topic about this? That would be better...

As to saving the GI pass, that would have a nice filename: *.tgi
Would this be easy to do?
Howgh!

Cyber-Angel

You know you could do it if some kind of GI Cache where implemented, other applications have a feature like this and the use it to store the GI calculation (to allow for faster scene calculation, only rendering those parts of a scene that have changed).  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: Mohawk20 on March 23, 2009, 07:54:56 PM
If that would be possible, it would also be very interesting to see what happens if you load the GI pass from an entirely (and significantly) different scene... It could result in some very funky images.

;D
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Oshyan

GI caching is something we have considered and will be looking at in the future.

- Oshyan