The always rendering Preview ...

Started by Tiles, March 26, 2009, 04:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

This isn't something a lot of people need.  From what I've seen, batch files are used in all major software packages for situations like these.

Quote from: nixx on March 26, 2009, 11:39:38 AM
Why even make a .bat file in the first place ? Why not include the -no3dpreview switch in a direct shortcut ?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

neuspadrin

Quote from: calico on March 26, 2009, 11:41:15 AM
This isn't something a lot of people need.  From what I've seen, batch files are used in all major software packages for situations like these.

Quote from: nixx on March 26, 2009, 11:39:38 AM
Why even make a .bat file in the first place ? Why not include the -no3dpreview switch in a direct shortcut ?

actually, situation like this where he always wants it, it makes sense...

try this Tiles:
go to the tg2 directory, right click tgd.exe, sendto--> desktop (Create shortcut)

now go to your desktop, right click-->properties.  In the target box, at the very end of it, add a space after the end quote mark, -no3dpreview so it would be like "path/to/tg2/tgd.exe" -no3dpreview

click apply, and see if it works.

Tiles

Hmm, also this refuses to work.

I tried to write a bat file for other exes. And here it works proper. So the problem seems to be Terragen2 that simply doesn't accept any commandline stuff. And yes, it is the free version. So that may be the reason.

Seems that i have to live with the current behaviour. Nevertheless many thanks for the help guys. At least i learned a few bits about bat files now :)

nixx

Quote from: calico on March 26, 2009, 11:41:15 AM

One can always make two shortcuts, the standard one and the -no3dpreview one named something like "Terragen (no3D)".
I 'm child, and man, then child again; the boy never gets older

neuspadrin

maybe planetside can answer the question of if command intake is allowed with the free version?  and if it isn't perhaps modify it so -no3dpreview and networkview are allowed, but not the other ones.

Matt

Quote from: neuspadrin on March 26, 2009, 03:11:38 PM
maybe planetside can answer the question of if command intake is allowed with the free version?  and if it isn't perhaps modify it so -no3dpreview and networkview are allowed, but not the other ones.

I think that may be the problem. Perhaps we can add these command line options to the free version in a future update.

Matt

Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Tiles, we'll make improvements to how all this works in future. For now, if you go to all the layout tabs (e.g. Terrain, Shaders, etc.) and close the 3D Preview for each of those, they should remain closed until you open a new file. That's not as good as you wanted it, but at least it works within a particular file session. You can then open a single 3D Preview in a separate window (see the View menu), and you can pause that and have it do what you want.

Matt

Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Tiles

So there is hope for future versions. Great. Many thanks Matt :)