Re: Lake scene *UPDATED 19th august: Added fake grass and snow*

Started by MF_Erwan, March 27, 2009, 08:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackblack

Yeah, sorry I didn't make that clearer.

My bad, it's "Painted Shader".

You can basically draw mapping or draw a stencil for other shaders.

Yeah, do a search though, you will find material that can explain it better than I can.

MF_Erwan

I just made a full size rendering with the "Cast shadows" box in Water checked:

Erwan

Luminos

The reflections in the water are amazing!
Feel like taking those canoes and and exploring
WoooOOooo I am WinDeXTor! I will clean your Soul! HA Ha ha (Echoing Laugh here)

mhaze

As some one who has done a fair amount of wilderness canoeing I can safely say that the shadows on the lake bed are possible but will only be seen when the sky is clear and the water clear and still - besides I like the detached shadows they give a sense of depth to the water.

Mick

Tangled-Universe

Pleasant looking scene! I was wondering if it wouldn't be interesting to add some wet sand to the shore. Just slightly darker and restricted by heighth = +1m of waterlevel (for example).

Also, I was wondering if you de-activate cast shadows for the water and add soft-shadows with a diameter of 6 or so, you would probably get nice soft shadows of the canoes on the bottom of the lake.

Martin

MF_Erwan

Sure, reflections are nice. But I also like a lot refraction! I like the shadows of the boats, but I suppose the water between the boats and their shadows should be darker...

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on March 31, 2009, 02:45:51 PM
Pleasant looking scene! I was wondering if it wouldn't be interesting to add some wet sand to the shore. Just slightly darker and restricted by heighth = +1m of waterlevel (for example).

Also, I was wondering if you de-activate cast shadows for the water and add soft-shadows with a diameter of 6 or so, you would probably get nice soft shadows of the canoes on the bottom of the lake.

Martin
I just added a child layer to the sand. About soft shadows, I don't know how to use them. So I gonna look for a tutorial about them.

Erwan

Tangled-Universe

Oh there's no need for a tutorial for soft-shadows, I'll explain it briefly.

- You can find the soft-shadows setting in the sunlight-node.

- The radius of the soft-shadows determines how soft the edges of the shadows will be.

Also, when light-occluding objects/edges are far away from the surface, lower soft-shadow-radius is needed for soft edges.
Is the object/edge close to the surface, higher soft-shadow radius is needed for the same soft edges.
This all depends heavily on the nature of your scene. So there's no golden rule.
Therefore my guess of a radius of 6 is no more than just a guess :)

- The softshadow samples determine how accurate the soft shadow will be rendered. Too low amount will result in speckled shadows. Too high increases rendertimes.

This is basically it. If you need any help then just let me/us know.

Martin

MF_Erwan

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on March 31, 2009, 03:25:56 PM
Oh there's no need for a tutorial for soft-shadows, I'll explain it briefly.

- You can find the soft-shadows setting in the sunlight-node.

- The radius of the soft-shadows determines how soft the edges of the shadows will be.

Also, when light-occluding objects/edges are far away from the surface, lower soft-shadow-radius is needed for soft edges.
Is the object/edge close to the surface, higher soft-shadow radius is needed for the same soft edges.
This all depends heavily on the nature of your scene. So there's no golden rule.
Therefore my guess of a radius of 6 is no more than just a guess :)

- The softshadow samples determine how accurate the soft shadow will be rendered. Too low amount will result in speckled shadows. Too high increases rendertimes.

This is basically it. If you need any help then just let me/us know.

Martin
OK, I understand now. But is the number of samples linked to the diameter? The larger the diameter is, more samples are needed?
Anyway I just found that I already activated soft shadows, but only with the default values (diameter 0.5, samples 9)

Erwan

Tangled-Universe

MF_Erwan

Here is the new rendering. I added a child layer of wet sand and used soft shadows. Diameter 6 , samples 9. And I disactivated "Cast shadows" for water.

Erwan

Tangled-Universe

This looks really nice Erwan.
It seems my guess for 6 as diameter was probably even too low. At least, for the kind of shadows I have in mind.
Maybe you should raise it to 10, but then you would have to increase samples above ~15 to get clean shadows which will eventually increase rendertime.
I'd say: do some cropped testrenders. The wet sand color is exactly what I had in mind, nice!

What bothers me is that when you add wet sand layers like this, there are always parts where it isn't visible (the middle part in your image).
No matter how flat your surface near the water is, there are always broken parts.
I've experienced this myself too, but then also with steep surfaces, like cliffs.
It's a TG-thing, so nothing you can do about.

Martin

MF_Erwan

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on April 01, 2009, 04:32:30 AMWhat bothers me is that when you add wet sand layers like this, there are always parts where it isn't visible (the middle part in your image).
No matter how flat your surface near the water is, there are always broken parts.
I think a little higher Maximum altitude for the wet sand will help.
I will start a new render, but since the last one already took 6h30 on my labtop, I will do it tonight.

Erwan

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: elegac on April 01, 2009, 05:53:03 AM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on April 01, 2009, 04:32:30 AMWhat bothers me is that when you add wet sand layers like this, there are always parts where it isn't visible (the middle part in your image).
I think a little higher Maximum altitude for the wet sand will help.
I will start a new render, but since the last one already took 6h30 on my labtop, I will do it tonight.

Erwan

Of course, that will help, but it will also increase the "thickness" of the already present wet sand layer. What I mean is that it isn't ditributed evenly and that *you* can't help that. Somehow the waterline isn't accurately calculated. That's what I meant, it's not your fault/mistake.

MF_Erwan

OK, ok.
Since I won't launch a render before tonight, I'm open to suggestions about changing the atmosphere/clouds or for objets to add. Perhaps plants?

Erwan

Luminos

going out on a limb here but I feel like the Canoes look a little small. Throws out the scale a bit
WoooOOooo I am WinDeXTor! I will clean your Soul! HA Ha ha (Echoing Laugh here)