Playing with clouds

Started by Aagam, March 28, 2009, 04:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aagam

Hey guys, I've been playing around with clouds and would like a small crit on an image I rendered earlier (see below). I assume the noise would be taken care of if I rendered at higher quality, ya?

Anyway, would love to know what you guys think. Any suggestions are highly appreciated. I'm aiming for the highest amount of realism I can get. I'm still quite new to Terragen 2.

domdib

It looks pretty good, and yes, upping the quality should help with the noise - I'm not sure whether the straight render quality or the number of samples in the quality tab for the cloud layer is the better one to adjust first, but other more experienced Terrageners will no doubt chime in. The one thing I would say that the angle the scene is tilted at is quite high, and makes me feel a bit queasy - I think the scene would look better if you reduced it.

Mohawk20

In this case you should only need to increase the overall render detail. What setting was it for this render? 0.4?

If you adjust the tilt (which is a good thing to do), don't change it too much, because the tilt gives a fresh perspective.

Do you have any reference images to base the image on? Then we could help you with more detailed tweaks.
I do like what you have so far, the lighting is nice! Though from an artistic point of view, you might want to place the sun a bit more to the side, so it's even less in the middle of the image.
Howgh!

rcallicotte

I like it and wish it had an animation of something flying out of that sun right at me...for realism, you know.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Aagam

Thanks a lot guys :)

I'll make those changes this afternoon. I agree that the tilt was a little bit too much. I'll move the sun a little bit too.

@Mohawk: The render setting was .55 I believe. Cloud quality was up around .70, and atmosphere was pushed to the max. The noise is surely caused from the lowish render setting, so I'll bump that up too.

@calico: I was actually thinking of putting something there, such as a bird or vehicle. Once I get the scene finished I'll see if I can paint something in.

I was surprised that this only took about 10 minutes to render. I find when I keep ground out of the image, renders are much faster, which is funny because I remember cloud renderings taking much longer in Terragen.9 then earth renders.

Aagam

Made a few fixes. I'm pretty satisfied with these. I increased render quality and it significantly helped the noise. Now I'm just figuring out what kind of object I can put in here to finish it up :)

Mohawk20

I like the lighting in the second one better...

And why not make the object some bug UFO? :P
Howgh!