lots of problems with renders

Started by lucifer1101, January 22, 2007, 07:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gradient

@viche...remember that lucifer only has a 833Mhz machine...your 2.4 Ghz is SIGNIFICANTLY faster.
And, No, the scenes were not complicated...the link to my image is in the thread on water render times.

viche12345

Ah, water. That might be the cause...  ::)

Will

Yea nothing is optimized yet.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Yeah, Will's right.  Nothing's optimized.   :o
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

gradient

@will & calico.....guess you didn't read my post in the water render thread....it appears that even with "reasonable" optimization, render times may be unwieldy...

"Really, what I am saying is that to produce a print quality(3200X2400) of the same image that took me 70 hrs (for 800X600)...would take 16 times as long...in other words, 1120 hours (or about 47 days!)!!!!
Even IF there was a 25% optimization success...it would still take 840 hours!

Based on the render time benchmark database...even IF a CPU was 3x as fast as my machine....that same render would still take 210 hours!   Keep in mind, my render had NO clouds and NO objects, few shaders....it was technically very simple!

Unless SIGNIFICANT optimization is achieved in future builds of TG2, render times will be unacceptably long for "casual" users....and, I think that may affect registered program purchase decisions."

Will

I did read it but I was talking about how he couldn't render with this computer not the water part. Also do you know what the diffrence is betwean old terragen water and the new terragen water system?

Regards,

Will

3DGuy

Probably turned up the detail settings waaaaay up.

Angealus

;D  Guys, just a little note here. I run TG@ on my laptop  ;D

1.07 Ghz Pentium M with 512 Mb RAM and onboard graphics.

I OCCASSIONALY get a crash, but I save very often and the render times for all of the things that I have done in here so far have only been at the most 2 hours. However, no water.

Now, I also recently moved it over to my desktop so that it will draw the preview faster, that has...

2.8 Ghz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
2 Gigs of RAM
Nvidia 6800 Ultra Graphics card with 580 Watt PS

Still Planet only that I am currently working on, 1 hour 42 minute render.

gradient

@angealus...try one with some water, some shaders and some cumulus clouds (high sample) and quality setting of 1 for your render on your laptop....Your batteries will run out long before the render finishes...
And, that's just for a 800X600....for print size multiply your render time by 16!

Your new desktop should move things along much better though....

buzzzzz

I sure would like to see the Size and Quality of these Two Hour renders.

Will

strangley enough I got a 59 minute render of a lunar surface with a planet rising in the backround (ill post it as soon as its finsihed) it was 800 x aprox. 377 quality 1 and GI at 7.

Regards,

Will

buzzzzz

I guess 800x600 doesn't cut it for me. I have been rendering 1280x960 which is nothing as compared to what I use to render in TG 9.43. Java says we don't need to downsize with TG TP which I will see when I render a scene worth printing. I can print 13"x19" with my home printer, so we share see.

gradient

If you tried to print that 800X377 image of yours at 300dpi......it would be 2.7 inches by 1.2 inches in size....LOL!

Will

yea I know but Im running a free version so I can't get it any bigger pluse thats what I use PS for :)

Regards,

Will

buzzzzz

Quote from: Will on January 23, 2007, 05:28:29 PM
yea I know but Im running a free version so I can't get it any bigger pluse thats what I use PS for :)

Regards,

Will

Oh I see, I use PS also but not to enlarge small renders. I would like to see a 800x600 enlarged to render a 24x36 print.  Even "Genuine Fractal" which is a plug-in is good, but not that good.