Forest Canopy - Update April 1st

Started by RArcher, March 30, 2009, 02:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RArcher

Update 1.  Unfortunately it is a smaller render (800 x 500) with lower settings, yet it still took longer. 44 hours this time.  On the plus side the beams are now visible.  I am pleased that I managed to not blow out the blue sky this time as well.

Oshyan

Man that's nice looking. Now you just need a better close-up tree model! The branches on this one are a bit too obviously CG unfortunately.

- Oshyan

RArcher

Well there was talk of some "high quality" trees being given away with the TG2 release... :P ;D

That being said.  This Oak tree from Klas has by far the best and most diverse set of leaves of any tree I have used.

Oshyan

Yeah, the leaves look great. Sadly that just makes the trunk look all the more artificial to me. I'm sure it wouldn't take too long to fix up for a competent modeler. Unfortunately that's not me. ;)

- Oshyan

domdib

Fantastic render. But 44 hours for 800 x 500! You're getting into render farm territory here.

Tangled-Universe

This looks fantastic Ryan! :)
I agree with Oshyan about the tree itself, but perhaps this is probably the best model to use currently for this purpose.

Martin

Klas

Quote from: Oshyan on April 01, 2009, 11:10:06 PMThe branches on this one are a bit too obviously CG unfortunately.
CG = Computer Generated? I can add more crookedness to them, do you think this will solve it? And other images for the trunk and displacements? Or should the trunk need to be redone?

Mohawk20

I think the bends of the branches have a bit too sharp corners with this POV and light, so if you could get rid of the hard edges it would look better... and more curves and bends would also help.
Howgh!

Walli

cyphyr

Looking good Ryan but hey 44 hours, wonder what the new version of TG2 would have done it in.
@Klas great tree, what soft did you use to make it?
:)
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Klas

Quote from: cyphyr on April 02, 2009, 07:59:57 AM
@Klas great tree, what soft did you use to make it?
Thank you. I am using Xfrog 3.5 lite for trees.

rcallicotte

Wow.  This is beautiful, Ryan.  Realistic and better than anything I've seen in Vue or elsewhere in 3D.

Good job, Klas.  I like what you've done.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

very good leaves !
love the light (as always) ^^

Oshyan

Quote from: Klas on April 02, 2009, 06:16:38 AM
Quote from: Oshyan on April 01, 2009, 11:10:06 PMThe branches on this one are a bit too obviously CG unfortunately.
CG = Computer Generated? I can add more crookedness to them, do you think this will solve it? And other images for the trunk and displacements? Or should the trunk need to be redone?

Yes, CG = "computer generated". I think Mohawk covered what I'd recommend for changes. It's great that you'd be willing to do that. :)

- Oshyan