How to make clouds white and fluffy

Started by MutantPixel, April 10, 2017, 06:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MutantPixel

ok, So I've finally got some clouds I'm happy with shapewise, but they are too gray. I want them to be white and fluffy, is there a way to do this without losing any definition? The renders also have quite a bit of noise, what setting should I look to to reduce noise in the cloud shading?

N-drju

Noise can be quite effectively reduced simply by increasing the detail of the cloud to about 1.5. It gives the cloud better quality and smooths things over. You can also increase cloud sharpness, but you need to consider if this is what you want. Also, it might be good idea to check what fractal settings you use. If you are using small values or have a very miniscule minimum scale, you might get very grainy fractals.

You can control the color by adjusting the sliders in the color tab of the cloud layer. Note that various cloud layers next to each other may automatically light up their neighbours due to light bouncing of them!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

eapilot

QuoteNoise can be quite effectively reduced simply by increasing the detail of the cloud to about 1.5

I don't see a "detail" parameter in the cloud settings.  Is this under a different name for TG4?

eapilot

Looking into the forum, I now assume "detail" settings are the micro detail setting for the renderer, not the clouds.

yossam

There is a quality tab for the cloud, next to the optimization tab.