Where can I find the new plants?

Started by AndyWelder, April 02, 2009, 03:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Quote from: wetbanana on April 22, 2009, 07:31:57 PM
couldn't you do it yourself the node reference guide has a print version :o

Just a heads up, the Node Reference still has some updating to be done. We've had to put that on hold while we finalize the release, but in a few days we'll be able to refocus effort there. There is more existing content that just needs to be converted to the proper format (which takes longer than you'd think, but less time than writing new stuff! ;D). We're also considering making the node reference available in a complete PDF format, although it is quite an inefficient way to access it, and is over 700 pages!

- Oshyan

neuspadrin

Quote from: Oshyan on April 22, 2009, 07:38:56 PM
also considering making the node reference available in a complete PDF format, although it is quite an inefficient way to access it, and is over 700 pages!

- Oshyan

i would love a pdf version, especially if its properly set up with bookmarks and such it would be very easy to navigate and such only be usable offline ;).

xfrog

A few free XfrogPlants coming this week.  Yes, you get that box.  With 4 full DVDs inside. 15 Gb of plants.

Quote from: sjefen on April 22, 2009, 06:27:34 PM
Hi Oshyan,

I am a owner of Terragen 2 and was just wondering, if I come up with $400, do I then also get this box right here? Also... are you planing a box release later?

I must say I'm pretty surprised by the Terragen 2 price increase. I was sure it would go up to about $600-700. Or $599-699 ;)
$399 is a very good price :)

I also wonder where those free plants are, but I guess that's a question for Xfrog.

- Terje

xfrog

We cannot sell 100 plants for $15. 
Autodesk paid a very large sum of money to acquire rights to distribute 100 species to Autodesk users.
They will go after anyone who migrates those out of Autodesk products. 
Planetside could not really pay a license so we decided to together make a bundle and sell plants at an extreme
discount price.   We thought about different sizes of bundles, and in the end i just decided to offer them all, in one
big bang of 4 DVDs, 15 Gb of plants, inside Terragen 2.   Because that gives a lot of possibilities that no software has ever offered.  You can make entire Jungles, flower gardens, Deserts, underwater scenes, Prehistoric worlds, etc.  I thought it would be the most attractive idea, to offer all we have ever created to Terragen 2 users. 

Quote from: reck on April 22, 2009, 06:16:45 PM
Oshyan I have nothing negative to say regarding the planetside side of things at all. The TG2 price I think is more than reasonable and even when it goes up to full price it's still a good deal. Also the grace period is a great thing for those people that haven't purchased yet, (why not?).

But like others I am disappointed with the xfrog offer. I was hoping for a small free package of maybe 10 or 20 plants with an offer to buy a set of maybe a 100 plants or so at a discount price for TG users. Also maybe sets of 100 plants for sale at a cheaper price of say $15-$20. It just doesn't seem to make sense to pay $400 for some models when the software your going to use them in is only $300. But the real kicker is that 3ds max and maya users just got a 100 xfrog plants for free which technically we can use in TG2 as well but are told that tg2 users will have to buy their plants at $400 which is way, way out of my spending budget when I don't use TG2 to make money, I just can't justify that. Yeah the price per plant is good but the problem is the initial cost, i'd rather pay more per plant but get a smaller bundle.

Congratulations on the site btw, it looks great.

xfrog

I also agree it is odd to offer content more expensive than the underlying software.  I wish i could go lower, but really folks, where can you find 3d models for .20 cents each.  Especially of the XfrogPlants quality.  It is a set of plants that will not become boring anytime soon.  So my answer is, the underlying software is very low in price for it's underlying value (Terragen 2 is really amazing), not that the content is very expensive.

Quote from: xfrog on April 22, 2009, 09:23:12 PM
We cannot sell 100 plants for $15. 
Autodesk paid a very large sum of money to acquire rights to distribute 100 species to Autodesk users.
They will go after anyone who migrates those out of Autodesk products. 
Planetside could not really pay a license so we decided to together make a bundle and sell plants at an extreme
discount price.   We thought about different sizes of bundles, and in the end i just decided to offer them all, in one
big bang of 4 DVDs, 15 Gb of plants, inside Terragen 2.   Because that gives a lot of possibilities that no software has ever offered.  You can make entire Jungles, flower gardens, Deserts, underwater scenes, Prehistoric worlds, etc.  I thought it would be the most attractive idea, to offer all we have ever created to Terragen 2 users. 

Quote from: reck on April 22, 2009, 06:16:45 PM
Oshyan I have nothing negative to say regarding the planetside side of things at all. The TG2 price I think is more than reasonable and even when it goes up to full price it's still a good deal. Also the grace period is a great thing for those people that haven't purchased yet, (why not?).

But like others I am disappointed with the xfrog offer. I was hoping for a small free package of maybe 10 or 20 plants with an offer to buy a set of maybe a 100 plants or so at a discount price for TG users. Also maybe sets of 100 plants for sale at a cheaper price of say $15-$20. It just doesn't seem to make sense to pay $400 for some models when the software your going to use them in is only $300. But the real kicker is that 3ds max and maya users just got a 100 xfrog plants for free which technically we can use in TG2 as well but are told that tg2 users will have to buy their plants at $400 which is way, way out of my spending budget when I don't use TG2 to make money, I just can't justify that. Yeah the price per plant is good but the problem is the initial cost, i'd rather pay more per plant but get a smaller bundle.

Congratulations on the site btw, it looks great.

RArcher

Hi Stewart,

I don't think anyone is disputing that what you are offering is of great value, because in comparison to your full boxed products it is a great deal.  This of course is if and only if Terragen 2 is the only program that you use and render with.  Since these are being offered simply as .tgo files there will never be the possibility of altering the geometry to create more variations even if you were to buy the full Xfrog software.  Because of this I would not personally expect any production studio's to buy the non-editable versions (though I certainly could be wrong on this front). I would hazard a guess that my misgivings and many others are because of the way that it is offered as a all or nothing type of package.  $400 - $500 is quite a lot to ask of someone to pay for what for many is simply a hobby.  I really think that you are missing a major segment of the Terragen 2 market by not offering a digital download by species a la cart.  Just taking the rough guesses at numbers here:  1300 plants for $400.  Say three variations each species or around 433 species, this by the package number would be around $1.10 each.  I can guarantee that you could increase that number to $2.00 per species offer it online for immediate download and sell far more than you will be able to sell a single package for $700 to a hobbyist market.

You have really put yourself in what I think is an awkward position.  Too limited and restricted for commercial users and too (initially) cost prohibitive for hobby users.

-Ryan Archer

neuspadrin

Is there any chance maybe you could have an additional limited time offer of maybe like 100 plants from your collection of various popular types, just of the adult variations not every single variation, and offer it at like $50 in addition to a package with terragen 2 (with the option of prepurchasers to buy just the $50 dollar package).  Because personally yes I would love 15 gigs of trees, but I don't ever see a need as a hobbiest. However, a mid sized set of a somewhat wide range of plants could be useful, and I don't need huge amounts of variations either.

I think you would have quite a few more purchases from our crowd. It still might not get my money in that time period, but if it was offered through the summer where i can get a little income, i know a decent set of models like that would get my money.

Just a thought.

*RArcher posted*
agreed.  a smaller price at a per species download, would grab the hobbiest market quickly.

Zylot

Quote from: neuspadrin on April 22, 2009, 10:05:10 PM
Is there any chance maybe you could have an additional limited time offer of maybe like 100 plants from your collection of various popular types, just of the adult variations not every single variation, and offer it at like $50 in addition to a package with terragen 2 (with the option of prepurchasers to buy just the $50 dollar package).  Because personally yes I would love 15 gigs of trees, but I don't ever see a need as a hobbiest. However, a mid sized set of a somewhat wide range of plants could be useful, and I don't need huge amounts of variations either.

I think you would have quite a few more purchases from our crowd. It still might not get my money in that time period, but if it was offered through the summer where i can get a little income, i know a decent set of models like that would get my money.

This right here.  I can part with $50, no issue, but on my budget $400 is well beyond the realm of possibility.  I'd love to purchase high quality plants and trees for my renders, but with all or nothing...  nothing is the *only* option.

BangelOz

$400 for all xfrog plants is cheap but i think only a very few people will need all and can pay that amount. And if i'm right this ships only as a physical product, reaching me i'll have to pay customs duty in addition that increases the price to  $500-$600!

Smaller download-packages with prices for everyone are needed!

Goms

Overall, this is a great deal and I'm sure that i will take this chance (if i can sell this thing of spending 570$ as a student to my girlfriend :D ) to get this amazing amount of plants for this price. But i also agree to what has been posted so far; for the hobby-customers its too much because the chance that you will need even 20% of this plants is very small, for professionals its not enough because you don't get the .xfr to edit the Plants.
I would love to buy one species for 2$-4$ to just buy what i need for the image I'm creating...
But thank you for the great offer! The deal is really great, also when its not the best size for the default TG2 User. :D
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

Mohawk20

Just a note for the European crowd here: $400 is only €309...
So in our case it's less expensive than it would seem (though it's still quite a bit of money).
Howgh!

domdib

Obviously, Xfrog have to make their decisions based on what they think will sell, and will probably have a better idea of the proportion of professionals to Hobbyists - they may even have conducted market research on this. However, "the customer is always right", and at the moment, they should be in no doubt about the appetite for smaller packages from a small but dedicated group of potential customers who could potentially act as evangelists for their products. And I think most of us here would have reacted a little differently, if Xfrog had offered the "few free plants coming this week" at the same time as making the big announcement. I just hope that the outcome is good for Planetside, and I agree that, for those who can afford it, 1300 plants for $599 (in my case) is good value.

cyphyr

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 23, 2009, 03:34:50 AM
Just a note for the European crowd here: $400 is only €309...
So in our case it's less expensive than it would seem (though it's still quite a bit of money).
$400 = £274
but last summer it would have been more like £200
Funny if this had been released a year ago I'd have jumped at it, the pound was strong against the dollar, now its very weak :( and I had some change in my pocket ...
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

sjefen

Hi Stewart,

I bought two DVD's with plant's from you guys some time ago.
If I buy this Terragen 2 deal for $400, can I then sell those two DVD's I already have?

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

PG

Quote from: cyphyr on April 23, 2009, 08:36:12 AM
$400 = £274
but last summer it would have been more like £200
Funny if this had been released a year ago I'd have jumped at it, the pound was strong against the dollar, now its very weak :( and I had some change in my pocket ...
richard

Just wait till deflation kicks in ;D The RPI is already in the negative figures. One the CPI goes the same way we'll be in deflation and the price of things will start plummeting. Who knows, maybe the bank of england'll put interest rates into negative figures, then the bank can start paying my loans for me. They might even buy me the plant pack if I'm nice to them :D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures