Where can I find the new plants?

Started by AndyWelder, April 02, 2009, 03:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

I'll weigh in, too, and hope xFrog is listening.

We were told something about free models and inexpensive models from xFrog.  Talk about a bad taste in my mouth, when I saw the actual offer and nothing from xFrog to explain to us what they had recently said they would do for us.

Basically, we need to know you are keeping your word to this community or you can count me out on any more sales.  
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Zylot

It's not that the models are expensive (they aren't, they're very well priced), it's that they're all bundled up.  If X-Frog can offer this great deal, they can offer similiar great deals for smaller bundles at only a slightly higher cost/model, still only TGO to keep the price low, then I'd be all over it.  I can afford these X-Frog plants prices, I just can't afford all at once.

Lemmie know when these smaller bundles appear, then I'll buy some plants in a heartbeat.

buzzzzz1

Planetside, Congrats on the new site launch and reasonable prices offered.   

Xfrog, with the way all of this has been handled from starting in Nov.08, do you think I'm going to type in $400.00 dollars and click purchase?  No Way!  I can only wish someone with some talent in creating quality plants and a good business model opens a new shop.  It's very sad but at this point I don't have any Faith or Trust in anything Xfrog says or does.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

arisdemos

Xfrog has kept their word as to WHEN they would begin a "new" market approach towards this forum membership's special needs, but what has emerged isn't really
any different than the past direction of Xfrog targeting essentially a commercial customer base who can more or less invest in a large library of plant props for larger scale ventures and multiple productions that can make use of a fully global faunal library. The user base of PlanetSide is mostly comprised of people who are still in what I would call a student category of CG pursuits, and this I am sure Xfrog and PS both are aware of as a contemporary reality. Xfrog drew the TG2 crowd in close for what was expected to be something for "them," and saddly Earth Day became for most of us here a commercial Strategy Day tailored not to build a market base out of a raw TG2 learning need, but for Xfrog's immediate monetary gain.  This is not building a potential market into a future entity's requirments, but rather an obvious bid to pad Xfrog's cash flow right now. What Xfrog has done is give something to their existing customer base, and so the thanks given will have to come from that quarter not the TG2 users who struggle for a little educational toe hold on a beginning software and its limitations. Thank's for trying Xfrog, but no cigar!.

Ironshirt

I must say I do like the new offer from Xfrog very much, but I also agree that there should be a few more packages available for people who can't afford the 400$ at once.
Another thing (already mentioned) is, that the plants come only in tgo format. There seems to be no possibility to raise up the quality of the plants, later (which may be the main reason for the low price of the package) So it would be very interesting to see some free samples first in order to check the overall quality of the plants, before buying the whole package, 'blind' somehow.
Another interesting bundle for me would be, e.g  a set of all american or european plants (also with xfr format), together with TG2 and Xfrog tune.
So I would be armed for the future if some day we have graphene-semiconductors or something ;D

Klas

Quote from: Ironshirt on April 23, 2009, 12:20:02 PMSo it would be very interesting to see some free samples first in order to check the overall quality of the plants,..
There is already  a free sampler in tgo format: http://www.planetside.co.uk/content/view/21/36/ . The BL02_Betula_lenta_Sweet_Birch is the same which is in the Basic Library of Xfrog 3.5, so I think the quality is the same as in the new Bundle. Here is a render of the BL02y an BL02m (the trees on the left side).

PG

I don't really get how it's a "deal". It's exactly the same price and you don't choose what you get. You might as well buy TG2 on it's own then buy the packs you actually want from xfrog. Bit of a ripoff if you ask me. I understand that xfrog is a business but it doesn't cost them more than $400 to make these things.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mohawk20

Quote from: PG on April 23, 2009, 01:01:20 PM
I don't really get how it's a "deal". It's exactly the same price and you don't choose what you get.
It's not the same price at all! It's only $19 per package of trees, opposed to the normal $150!
Howgh!

BangelOz

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 23, 2009, 01:24:57 PM
I don't really get how it's a "deal". It's exactly the same price and you don't choose what you get.
It's not the same price at all! It's only $19 per package of trees, opposed to the normal $150!

The normal price of $150 offers a lot of formats incl. the xfrog. this new one is limited to TG2 and therefore not so cheap as it seams if you need another format - and trying to convert them - i don't know, if the objects become good...

rcallicotte

Where is the "per package" deal?

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 23, 2009, 01:24:57 PM

Not the low cost deal we were told about here - http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=5289.msg56161#msg56161

rcallicotte

jockc

Quote from: Zylot on April 23, 2009, 10:55:26 AM
It's not that the models are expensive (they aren't, they're very well priced), it's that they're all bundled up.  If X-Frog can offer this great deal, they can offer similiar great deals for smaller bundles at only a slightly higher cost/model, still only TGO to keep the price low, then I'd be all over it.  I can afford these X-Frog plants prices, I just can't afford all at once.

Lemmie know when these smaller bundles appear, then I'll buy some plants in a heartbeat.

These are my exact sentiments.  I am a hobbyist, I don't need all the plants.  I just need a few here and there.  If I could buy them one by one and download them, I would be all over that.  Or even the original bundlings (but downloadable) at the TGO-only price (e.g. USA West for $20) would work. 

matrix2003

I really do appreciate all that has been made available on this forum, the people I have met are great,  and the continuing information sharing is just awesome!  That being said, most avid terrageners are here as rabid hobbyists that want to push the limits of this toy.  1,300 plants is nothing that I will EVER need and I think most here would agree.  Pitching this to a commercial market IE: professional artists etc... would be where this would sell.  I personally was psyched to get one group of plants, and never would even consider spending 400.00 to get all of them.  Splitting this package up into smaller groups or regions would definitely be a seller here.  I have no problem with any of the pricing, but existing people on THIS current forum are looking for small pacs to play with.  If that is not available to us then you are selling this package to the wrong room. 
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

xfrog

More free samples coming this week.

Quote from: Klas on April 23, 2009, 12:55:12 PM
Quote from: Ironshirt on April 23, 2009, 12:20:02 PMSo it would be very interesting to see some free samples first in order to check the overall quality of the plants,..
There is already  a free sampler in tgo format: http://www.planetside.co.uk/content/view/21/36/ . The BL02_Betula_lenta_Sweet_Birch is the same which is in the Basic Library of Xfrog 3.5, so I think the quality is the same as in the new Bundle. Here is a render of the BL02y an BL02m (the trees on the left side).

Astrian

Hello everybody
I was the member called lightning who used to make the plants.
I have been keeping a watch on the forums since i left after Floraworks closed and I never got the chance to to apologize to all of you for what I did and especially you Paul for not telling you What I was doing.
that aside I just want to say how disgusted I am with Stuart he promised you guys free plants and well look whats happened, I wouldn't even touch any of those plants anyway now I will tell you what really happened when Floraworks went offline

well you probably heard I modified xfrog plants then sold them on well this isn't fully true.
all my plants I built from scratch, but xfrog runs similar to terragen 2 ie you can take certain elements of a xfrog scene then import them into another, this is what i did such as certain branch parameters I imported from xfrog plants added them to my own trees then heavily modified them to fit the trees needs I know I should have never taken this shortcut and look at the consequences of my actions :-[

but in the xfrog talks to floraworks i was labeled a talentless little piece of shit that stole from xfog which is pretty much the opposite way round I will explain.
after floraworks was shut down My and Stuart engaged in conversation over email we talked about how floraworks and greenworks could merge, and how I may become one of the modelers at xfrog or modify their existing xfrog plants to bring them up to the quality of what my own plants where which where and still are leaps and bounds ahead of greenworks, so I said "yeah I could do that". And then Stuarts asked me to give him some of my  own trees so he could see how they were made (they are made completely different from xfrogs) so I sent him some of my best trees and shrubs so his Modelers could have a look at them and gain tips from them to improve their own models after I sent the clip files I never heard from Stuart again and its been nearly six months :'(

So yeah I wouldent even give them a cent
If you have the money I would highly recommend you buy this
http://www.onyxtree.com/index.html
I purchased onyx broadleaf,conifier and flower and they are by far the best plant making software on the market plus they come with about 200 different rebuilt trees which you can easily modify.

well I hope you are all well and im glad I have told you my side of the story