Jungle - RTO version @ page 5

Started by Tangled-Universe, April 02, 2009, 11:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: FrankB on January 04, 2010, 08:53:22 AM
I also think you should've rendered this with higher AA settings.

Yeah I can try that, but I hate to say that it probably won't make too much of a difference. It is now rendered with AA10 and maximum samples already (customised sampling method).
I think I rendered this scene by accident at near perfect settings for the micropolygon renderer. It meets the quality of the raytracer, but not the speed by far.
So I can up this to 12, but I'm not entirely sure if it will look any better.
Maybe I can change the filter as well (is Mitchell-Netravalli now).

What do you think?

Henry Blewer

Use an old computer like mine. Everyone should experience fantastically long render times at least once. LOL
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: njeneb on January 04, 2010, 08:58:39 AM
Use an old computer like mine. Everyone should experience fantastically long render times at least once. LOL

Ghehe, you think I haven't been through this, boy ;D lol

This costed me around 60 hours if I remember correctly, maybe even more:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4231.msg47308#msg47308

I will re-render this one as well soon using the RTO.

Martin

FrankB

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 04, 2010, 08:57:06 AM
Yeah I can try that, but I hate to say that it probably won't make too much of a difference. It is now rendered with AA10 and maximum samples already (customised sampling method). ...

What do you think?

hm,, intersting. So either it's the model in the foreground which looks just too coarse, OR it's indeed the AA filter. I never use Mitchell-Netravali, I find it's too sharp. The default filter should be ok, though.

Frank

MacGyver

Nice to see this one again. If it was in 1920x1200 one could compare it side-by-side of course ;) :P
I'm also looking forward to see the "A brand new Day" render redone, one of my all-time favorites :)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Linda McCarthy

Magnificent POV and overall image, Martin!  Your work here is so excellent.  One small observation- and this may just be a matter of personal taste- the small areas of dark green in the foreground seem to have too much of a blue tint to be realistic.  Linda

littlecannon

Sweet... the jungle canopy looks great.
Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

Matt

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 04, 2010, 08:57:06 AM
Quote from: FrankB on January 04, 2010, 08:53:22 AM
I also think you should've rendered this with higher AA settings.

Yeah I can try that, but I hate to say that it probably won't make too much of a difference. It is now rendered with AA10 and maximum samples already (customised sampling method).
I think I rendered this scene by accident at near perfect settings for the micropolygon renderer. It meets the quality of the raytracer, but not the speed by far.
So I can up this to 12, but I'm not entirely sure if it will look any better.

What do you think?

I agree that higher AA probably won't visually improve the image. But if you had used the default adaptive settings it would have rendered faster, probably without any visible reduction in quality.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

choronr

Hardly an area not covered by vegetation makes this truly a dense jungle as you might find in South America. The second version is much better; but, I would suggest that you decrease the density of the low clouds by at least 50%. Reason: The sun is high; and, usually it tends to burn off the fog/clouds at bit. However, it is a matter of taste.

Bob