Bugs with 2.0.1.1

Started by PorcupineFloyd, April 03, 2009, 09:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PorcupineFloyd

I must be really unlucky. First, I couldn't save a .tgd file directly to root folder of any drive, then I've noticed I'm experiencing strange render problems while rendering in low quality (~0.3) where it looks like the render engine is intentionally missing some parts of the render and finally - Terragen crashes when I try to save .tgd file after loading .obj into population. Is anyone else experiencing such problems or am I the one and only victim?

To make it short:

1. TG2 refuses to write .tgd files to root folder. (see this thread)
2. Render errors while rendering scene with low quality (~0.3) - black triangles of random shape and place.
3. TG2 crashes while trying to save .tgd file (not in the root folder) after loading at last one .obj model.

I'm also experiencing random crashes while trying to load an existing project into fresh Terragen2. Sometimes pausing the preview and then loading a .tgd helps.

rcallicotte

1.  I'll try this tonight
2.  I haven't seen this yet, but I'll attempt to make it happen if possible this weekend
3.  I have had no stability problems at all with anything related to object files or saving TGDs, but I do wonder if the size of your object file (and its conglomeration of files) isn't overloading your RAM and then this crashes TG2

Something it would be good for us all to acknowledge is that, with the wonders of having no 16-texture limit, we now have the possibility of overloading RAM with our objects.  The limit of objects is based upon your machine's specs and I don't think it will be limitless for anyone.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PorcupineFloyd

I don't know if this file exceeds 16 textures but even if it does it should be very minor. I have abundant amounts of RAM so it shouldn't be an issue - together with fact that I do not use models that weight more than ~50 MB.

rcallicotte

Just check to see what TGD.EXE is using, including virtual RAM when you load the offending file / object.

I had two objects last night that took about 3G.

PorcupineFloyd

tgd.exe clean - 92 MB
tgd.exe after loading 1 .obj model - 152 MB

Attempt at saving .tgd to H:\Temp --> crash

rcallicotte

Could it be the model?  Is there any way you can submit this to PS?

PorcupineFloyd

I don't think so. I've also tried loading different model and it still crashes while saving .tgd.

rcallicotte

Something must be wrong with something else.  I haven't had this problem even remotely.

Quote from: PorcupineFloyd on April 03, 2009, 02:07:10 PM
I don't think so. I've also tried loading different model and it still crashes while saving .tgd.

PorcupineFloyd

I bet it has something to do with new .tgd saving mechanism that Jo mentioned.

But still - what about those holes in render while rendering at low quality?

neuspadrin

thats odd... just did a quick render at .1, .2, .3 and none of them had holes in it....

PorcupineFloyd

Maybe it's a matter of multi-threading. I'll try to switch TG2 to 2 cores and 1 core after I finish rendering my small picture.

rcallicotte

How many cores does your PC actually have?  That's where you should set the min / max just for this test...and maybe all the time.

Quote from: PorcupineFloyd on April 03, 2009, 03:09:13 PM
Maybe it's a matter of multi-threading. I'll try to switch TG2 to 2 cores and 1 core after I finish rendering my small picture.

PorcupineFloyd

I've got 4 cores on Q6600, but I've never had to touch min/max thread settings.

rcallicotte

I set my min / max to 4 and 16, usually.  I needed to manually set my recognized threads to 4.  Have you tried that?

PorcupineFloyd

It recognizes the cores without any problem, but yes - I've tried forcing TG2 to 4 cores with no difference.

Bellow I'm attaching a screen from typical error situation. Render window says that the rendering is finished but it leaves a small, black part. It is very, very random as sometimes calculations are full (even on low quality settings) and sometimes a small, black part is still visible.

I've also tried setting threads on 1/4, 1/2 and 1/3 but the problem still persists.