What's your name?

Started by neuspadrin, April 04, 2009, 04:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neuspadrin

Just curious the origins of given usernames.

for example - mine :P

neuspadrin -- really 2 different names: neus padrin

neus - randomly generated name of my panther from the original neverwinter nights.  just kinda stuck as a favorite of mine and started getting used.

padrin - randomly generated first name of my character from neverwinter nights who had said panther. didn't really care for the last name (and i can't remeber what i had it set to), but after that i just started using neus first name padrin last for various things.

so thats the meaning behind my username... what about you?

folder

folder comes from my other passion of origami. I have been folding for over 30 years and this along with sleight of hand card magic, and drawing comprises my most long term passions.

for an example of the type of origami I fold, go to a friends site
robert lang https://www.langorigami.com

david

mesocyclone

mesocyclone comes from my great passion for powerful storms and storm chasing.

In every convective storm, there's an updraft that feeds the storm with warm moist air. Is practically the "soul" of the storm.

Most of the tornadoes are generated from powerful storms called supercells. The supercells are huge, long-lived, beautiful and very strong storms. The main diference beetween supercells and other storms is that its updraft rotates. This rotating column of ascending air is called the mesocyclone.  ;)

Mohawk20

Quote from: neuspadrin on April 04, 2009, 04:04:38 PM
neus - randomly generated name of my panther from the original neverwinter nights.  just kinda stuck as a favorite of mine and started getting used.

Did you know Neus is the Dutch word for nose?
Howgh!

neuspadrin

hahaha, no i did not.  i had a suspicion it was a word in some european language awhile ago, but never researched it.

PG

PG is an acronym for PauliesGrandson. Paulie is a character in Mafia: City of Lost Heaven, my favourite game. I used PauliesGrandson on a Mafia fansite and couldn't think of another one for registering elsewhere ;D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Oshyan

Ok, I'll come clean. My user name (JavaJones, no longer used here) is a sham. I'm neither a coffee drinker nor a Java coder (at least one of which people always assume).

It's actually a holdover from a rather long time ago, maybe 15+ years, when I was in Jr. High School. We had a little computer lab and we started playing multiplayer games, Marathon chief among them (man that was an awesome game). I started out with nicknames like "Predator" and "Reaper", even before that, I thought they sounded cool, but later realized they were ridiculously over-used. I needed something original. At the time I was an avid Far Side (comic) reader, and although it wasn't my favorite comic by any means, for some reason this one stuck in my head: http://www.home-barista.com/knockbox/carl-javahead-jones-and-his-chopped-espresso-machine-t6324.html

I liked the idea of being kind of clever and "pun-ey", so I modified it a bit and had java (coffee) and jones (not as a last name, but as-in slang for "craving something", in other words "coffee craving". The irony of course is that I wasn't a coffee drinker, even to this day (though I drink it occasionally, only with a good amount of sugar and cream ;D). This was before the Java coding language was really much of anything, I think, so I didn't get any questions about that at the time, but since then I certainly have.

Anyway it was at least original and it worked at the time. As I continued to use it, it became habit, and as the Internet became a major force, with 100's of sites to sign up to, it just stuck. I've found a few other people using it, and even a real coffee shop with the same name (no surprise there), but it's been relatively unique, which I like, while still having some kind of (theoretical) "cleverness" and meaning. Even if the meaning is false. ;)

- Oshyan

inkydigit

inkydigit - I am both a traditional printmaker and a digital artist, also a synonym for inky finger, like a fingerprint that is our ID!! my real name is Jason!

sjefen

Sometimes, i buy myself a Coca Cola that comes in those glass bottles and I always read inside the cork.
It always says the same thing. It's maybe only 5 or 6 things that goes over and over again, but I have this little idea
that maybe sometime, they will make new ones ::)

Anyway..... one time I got this one that said: "Jeg er sjefen!" and I thought: No... I am!
I have only seen this one 2 times in my whole life, so I guess it's a rare one.
When I then started signing up for forums around I just remembered that and sjefen it became :)

10 points to the one that can figure out what sjefen means ;)

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

neuspadrin

norwegian for boss/manager/etc...

google ftw ;)

Jeg er sjefen - i am the boss

sjefen

10 points to neuspadrin ;D

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Zairyn Arsyn

some ppl might find it strange but I like the letter Z, so I tend to make aliases/names starting with the letter Z.

999 comes from Leiji Matsumoto's, Galaxy Express 999 manga comic / anime, and not 999 flipped upside down.

zagadka is a Russian/polish word meaning enigma or riddle.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

jo

It's - wait for it - Jo :-). I use it because its my name...

Regards,

Jo

matrix2003

Well in 1999 The Matrix movie made my head spin! I saw it like three times.   Then they filmed both sequels back to back and announced that both would be released in 2003.
All I could think about at the time was '2003' was going to be a 'Matrix' year.   :D

-  Bill .
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

Cyber-Angel

Let me tell you a story that's kind true, about a man who came to rock
24/7 around the clock!
This man started as a rock and roll kid till one day he got lost in soul; hip hop took
over his soul till one day he lost control.
Partied at the disco from nine to five rocked the mic to stay alive, took no shame, had no blame
stayed that way and almost went insane.
Got calls form every where to make people dance on and on till day light came, on and on and did the same.
That kid became a star but had no name, word is bond that man had been transformed Cyber-Angel had been born!

;D

Regards to you

Cyber-Angel