What's your name?

Started by neuspadrin, April 04, 2009, 04:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PG

Quote from: jo on April 04, 2009, 08:07:17 PM
It's - wait for it - Jo :-). I use it because its my name...

Regards,

Jo

lol

Hey Oshyan, where'd you come up with this name?
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

matrix2003

I believe you would have to ask his parents that one!  ;D
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

cyphyr

Well cyphyr kinda came up when I was looking for something that embodied the "code-ness" of being something of a computer nerd and things not always being what they seem. Aparently the trator in the Matrix movies (could'nt say which one) is called ciphir or something similar but thats just coincidental. I've used cyphyr for ages now, on forums and online games particularly "Entropia Universe" and its funny to see people running past saying what dose your avatar's name mean, the answer being, nothing in particular :)

richard aka cyphyr

ps I always thought the JavaJones name was exactly as you said, a coffee junkie coder, another illusion trashed  ::)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Arandil

My username is a Sindarin construction I came up with for a character I ran in First Age Middle Earth rpg some years back.   The character was a herald and his name means 'friend of the noble'.

GEEK OUT! *disco ball*  ;D

EDIT: Plus, no one else uses it.

Hetzen

Mine came from smoking spliffs and playing with WW2 German tanks. I also quite liked that hetzen in Google German is 'rush', where as zen equates tranquillity, which sort of contradicts, but doesn't.

I like to think I get peace of mind from getting stuck into things.

Plus no one else uses it. ;D

Mohawk20

My name Mohawk came form a sympathy with ethnic minorities who were oppressed. I like dark skinned people and native Americans, not only because they were oppressed, but because they were portrayed as the cool guys. Dark African hunters, and honorable feathered Indian tribes.

And after reading some Old Shatterhand books, that only strengthened my admiration. I like how native Americans live as one with nature and respect all living things. It's a way of life I like to have myself.

So when I needed a Nickname, one that I thought was cool of course, Mohawk rang in the back of my mind as Indian tribe. But the forum I tried to sign in already had a member with that name, so i added an arbitrary number, and kept using this combination so I could never be confused...

After as couple of years using this Nickname, I decided to check if I was actually right in assuming it was a tribe name. I was right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohawk_(disambiguation) There is a whole region that consists of landmarks like Mohawk river, Mohawk valley and Mohawk lake. It even is a complete language, which I don't speak of course  ;)

My avatar is actually a version of the Mohawk flag.
Howgh!

Inscrutable

That would be telling...

Dark Fire

Dark Fire is just an unusual (so it's normally not already registered) but memorable (I hope) name. I came up with it years ago, when I was in my early teens - hence the slight weirdness - and I'm too lazy to change it now. The fact that I like rendering images of volcanoes in dark envorinments with TG2 is just a fortunate coincidence.  :P

otakar

Přemysl II. Otakar, also known as the Iron and Golden king was the most significant king of Bohemia (only later eclipsed by Charles IV). Years ago, I used to play a fantasy PBEM game called Eressea and I based my faction on the Premyslid clan, whose leader of course was named Otakar. And so I stuck with it, using this handle online to this day.

I am enjoying this thread a lot...

arisdemos

In the early part of the twentieth century a book was written called the Spartan, and it told the fictional story of a half Athenian and half Spartan man who became the hated sole survivor/coward of Thermopylae.  The only warrior of Leonides' 300 who came back home without his shield/honor.  I am of Greek heritage and During Viet Nam I sort of chose the same kind of role,... a live one.

dandelO

Dandelo is a fictional character who makes a brief appearance in the final of 7 'Dark Tower' books by Stephen King.

A psychic vampire who drains your lifeforce by laughing you to death. The more you laugh, the more you're dying, without even knowing it. Dandelo lives on a lonely street called 'Oddlane', just off Tower Road.
Tower Road runs on 'The Path Of The Beam', which the hero, the gunslinger Roland of Gilead, a kind of knight in cowboy form, must travel to save the Tower, and so, the multiverse(the Tower is the nexus of all wheres and whens, and it is in grave danger).

Dandelo is an anagram of Oddlane(see above), so I use the capital 'O' instead of a capital 'D'.
Apparently, I've read, Dandelo is also the name of the scientist's cat in the movie The Fly.

I liked the name, is all! ;)

efflux

First time I went on the net I had to think of user names, email address etc so I chose efflux. Now I'm stuck with that because I've used it everywhere. I also have a domain related to this name but not exactly the same (never used yet).

Trouble is, at most places, if you use your real name then it's likely you'll have to choose another name because your name is already taken unless you have a very unusual name.

Oshyan

Ironically I do have a very unique name, which is really never taken. But back when I was starting to use nicknames online, there was this persistent idea of not wanting to use your real name. Desire for anonymity, or just wanting to be cool, I dunno... ;)

- Oshyan

mesocyclone

Oh, sorry, I forgot it...
My real name is Jean  ::)

neuspadrin

thats a crazy name oshyan, what sort of origin is it?   you could probably easily get away using it as a screenname without people realizing most of the time, haha.