What's your name?

Started by neuspadrin, April 04, 2009, 04:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Dune because I was doing a dune render at the time I first entered this forum, so nothing fancy about it. I do like dunes, but did't like the book 'Dune'.

---Dune

ps. When I first mentioned this to my wife she thought I'd called myself June, and thought it a bit scary. We talked it over and she doesn't consider me a weirdo anymore  ;) 

neuspadrin

Quote from: Dune on May 07, 2009, 01:08:33 PM
ps. When I first mentioned this to my wife she thought I'd called myself June, and thought it a bit scary. We talked it over and she doesn't consider me a weirdo anymore  ;) 

Well, if you told your wife you were "doing" June when you signed up for the forum, and her name wasn't June... now that would be interesting ;)

GioMez

GioMez? Very simple: the first three letters from my name (Giovanni) and the first three of my surname (Mezzadri... which literally translated should mean... "sharecroppers" ;D)

domdib

Domdib? Snap, GioMez! Dominic Dibble  ;)

@Mohawk - if you're interested in Native American/Indian culture, have you read "Neither Wolf nor Dog" by Kent Nerburn? If not, I'd thoroughly recommend it.

littlecannon

Little cannon would be my kung fu name.... if I had one ;D. I have been practising Taijiquan and Baguazhang for nearly 20 years and have a deep love for them, hence my Kung Fu themed name. My real name is Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

tumasch

My turn then, I guess...

The nickname 'tumasch' is nothing that spectacular. It's actually another form of my proper name Thomas. This form comes from the Engadin valley in the canton of Grisons (here in Switzerland) I fell in love with a few years back. I love the landscape there, the people, the language, and the culture. I even started to learn the language which has become quite rare and exotic in a way. But I'm prone to learning quite exotic foreign languages (not including English, of course ;D).

And this is what it roughly looks like: http://www.alpen-panoramen.de/photo/486.jpg

EDIT: Plus, no one else uses it. ;)
Décider c'est mourir un peu.

schmeerlap

Sorry, missed this topic.
Schmeerlap is what my mum sometimes calls me. Some of you from Germany may know that this is not a term of endearment. An example of its use may be when an irritated mother finds her son's face (and everything else within range) smeared with chocolate. As in "Du bist ein schmeerlap"! ("You are a messy so-and-so"!)

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Mohawk20

Quote from: schmeerlap on May 30, 2009, 07:47:10 AM
Sorry, missed this topic.
Schmeerlap is what my mum sometimes calls me. Some of you from Germany may know that this is not a term of endearment. An example of its use may be when an irritated mother finds her son's face (and everything else within range) smeared with chocolate. As in "Du bist ein schmeerlap"! ("You are a messy so-and-so"!)

John

Actually it's a Dutch word as well. And if you translate it it becomes all clear what the meaning is: Schmeer lap = Grease rag. It's the piece of old cloth you use to wipe your hands off when you're working on your car or motorcycle or stuff like that. Just a rag that's smeared with grease. And that's why his mother calls him that when he's all dirty... (and I say 'is' on purpose of course  :P ;)).
Howgh!

bobbystahr

In the '60's last century I did art on leather clothing with a wood burner and acrylics. As signing my name with a burner was ugly and stars appeared in many if not all my work those days the women I was arting for, Juice and TieDie, suggested  I make a sigil of a B and a star.
They then advertised art by Bobby * and the die was cast. I spell it bobbystahr as it seemed pretentious as I'm a musician as well, without the 'h'.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist