Giving a shader a specific direction

Started by Volker Harun, January 26, 2007, 08:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Harun

Can somebody tell a stupid me, how to give a shader, i.e. fractal shader of clouds, a specific direction!?!

I already stretched the Noise in the Tweaks-Tab. But this is only possible in X-Y-Z-directions.
I would like to have the stretched noise to go along a specific vector.

The transform shader does not help, it just transforms and translates.
I got a 'rotate-y-vector' which sounds interesting - but did not work when placing between the density-fractal and cirrus-layer. At least I got no effect when entering a 90° value.

Anybody help, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease ,-)

Volker

§ardine

can you post an example picture of what you are wanting to achieve?

The only stretching I've been able to do is just along latitude and longitude. but that's not to say other angles are not possible
If I have time here in a bit I'll see what i can conjure up

-§ardine

Volker Harun

Look at the attached temp-render.

I changed the appearance of the cirrus-clouds to the look of con-trails / chem-trails.

I was off to place these trails in a zigzag-course coming from 3 directions.
With the transform-node you can only achieve rectangular patterns.

Volker

§ardine

:'( I could not find any way to rotate or angle stretched clouds. I even spent time using some of the functions but to no avail. I could have sworn that I've seen someone else render a picture with the effect you are wanting. I searched for the thread but couldn't find it - I'm sure it's around here somewhere.  ???

Anyway, I was able to get a similar effect using a mask and have attached the files below. I'm still hoping we can get the effect without doing it my way though :)

[attach=#1]
[attachurl=#2]

swiftstream

I've tried this on several occasions and haven't had any luck with this either. I tried all sorts of conversions, splitting up and rebuilding the pattern from scratch, and various other things... no luck.

Volker Harun

Thanks for your effort, :D :D :D
the solution with the mask is fine - at least for this situation. ;) :)

Thanks a lot, 8) 8) 8)

Volker

§ardine

Oshyan

As stated recently elsewhere there is no easy way (without using Function Nodes) to rotate a noise shader at this time. Such functionality should be available in the future. Unfortunately I don't know how you might go about using the Function Nodes to perform this function either, or whether it's truly possible at this point. Hopefully one of the function whizzes will come along and give it a shot. :)

- Oshyan