My first try with terragen 2.0

Started by NeroTBF, March 26, 2009, 12:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeroTBF

Hi,

It's my first test with terragen 2.0 so don't do a incredible picture but just experiment some feature of new TGD engine and find my old mark of terragen 0.9.
I'm open-minded for all criticism for improve my skill.

Best Regards,

NeroTBF

rcallicotte

Good lighting.  I like your terrain and your texturing.  Maybe a different point of view to show us the terrain closer and / or some foliage would make this closer to realism.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

MF_Erwan

It's more photorealistic than all I have tried to obtain so far! :D

Erwan

old_blaggard

It's very nice. The detail on the stones is quite good, and I like the pebbles and rocks on the ground. The images looks really soft - what detail settings did you render at? If it's below .75 try pumping it up a little. I would also consider tweaking the lighting a little... perhaps bring the sun more behind you and to the side rather than in front of you.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Saurav

This is a very good test with TG2, the canyon walls are already looking very realistic. Perhaps you could add layer of sand/soil on the lower slopes of the wall and the floor.

inkydigit

some subtle warping of the horizontal strata(try redirect shader on y axis?), would make this perfect!

NeroTBF

Thanks for your reply and your comment. I'll try to improve this picture with our advices.

ps : I use 1 for detail setting so I don't know if it's possible to pumping it up more

Mr_Lamppost

For a first test that's a very nice scene; well done.

It looks to me like the colour variation in your strata is being derived from a through camera image projection, try replacing that with a one of the side projections (Side X or Side Z), or better still use Power Fractals and make the variation entirely procedural. 

There is a lot to learn and everyone will tell you different things.  My best advice would be; don't try to do everything at once, take your time and don't be afraid to experiment. 
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Oshyan

Great first effort! I think the lighting is top notch, and good displacement too. This definitely doesn't look like an amateur's attempt. ;D

I don't think detail is what's causing the softness here. Did you change the "pixel filter" in the Render "Extra" tab?

- Oshyan

Zylot

Sen

This looks very realistic. Cool canyon and feeling for realistic colours.

PG

Great work there Nero. I'd like to see some cloud work.
JPEG compression affects the detailing of surfaces, especially displaced vertical ones for some reason. On that canyon one I did, people told me to increase the detail settings to get some more definition in the rocks but there wasn't anything I could really do, because I have to convert it to jpeg so it'll fit on the upload here, or upload it somewhere else which is tedious, you always lose detail and they'll look soft like this.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Tangled-Universe

Looking darn good for a first really serious attempt. Mine looked nowhere like that :)
I agree with the others about the sharpness of the image. Oshyan's suggestion is a good one.
I'd further suggest to test the different pixelfilters with croprenders, but I assume you are already familiar with that approach.
The lighting is very good!

I do not agree with PG to add clouds, because that would disturb the balance a lot in my opinion.
So hopefully you want make the mistake to fill every bit of the picture with lots of stuff.
Also, when adding foliage etc. don't over-do it.
It is nicely balanced now and the slightly overcasted sky gives this image a really staggering hot desert feel.

Martin

PG

It's got clouds in it ;D I said I'd like to see some improvement to them. But yeah I am a bit of a cloud fetishist. :D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: PG on April 08, 2009, 04:58:17 PM
It's got clouds in it ;D I said I'd like to see some improvement to them. But yeah I am a bit of a cloud fetishist. :D

You definitely know what I mean, stubborn ;)
If you want improvements, it might then be useful for Nero to say WHAT you would like to see improved.

More defined and smaller clouds will only look the sky filled and busy and very distracted. Like I said it would disturb balance.
A change in POV and/or composition could justify adding (lots of) clouds, but not in this case, IMO.