Sphere Population

Started by hatter, January 24, 2007, 08:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hatter

Probably being a bit dumb here but I can't create a sphere population. I always just get the one sphere. I've managed to get it working with rocks and trees. Any ideas ?

Many thanks

Angealus

under the objects tab you have 2 ways to add an object. When you click on add object instead of clicking the top one of object select population and the set the perameters for it including how many, what size etc.

hatter

Thanks - yes I've done all that. As I said I've managed to create rock and tree populations but not spheres.

FrankB

I know I've done that once - maybe you should post a screenshot that contains the relevant part of the node network and the property dialogs for the populator and the object.

Regards,
Frank

hatter

Hi Frank

Here is a simple test. All I've done is add a population of rocks and then an identical population of spheres but as you can see lots of rocks but only one sphere. I think it's either a bug or a simple tweak that is needed that I've missed !

Cheers

Carl

JemDaddyO

I had this problem and thought I was doing something wrong.  Glad to know it wasn't me.  As cool as the tool is, some of these features are a frustrating mystery to me.  I look forward to more tutorials like those by MeltingIce that explain why or how things do what they do.  Most tutorials just say "set this setting to .004 and that setting to .1"  I can play and experiment with things, but without unlimited time, an explanation of how to achieve certain effects is only too appreciated and time saving.

3DGuy

I can confirm this. Just tested it. Firstly when I generate the population and tick 'preview instances' I can see the population is distributed in a disklike pattern, not the square it's supposed to be. Secontly, the population is not bound to the ground, it floats which it shouldn't because the 'sit on terrain' box is ticked. Thirdly, the population will not render.

Volker Harun

Sorry to disturb this topic ... I have a similar situation with the rock-population.
Whatever I try - even setting up a single rock at perfect coordinates (where spheres and trees will show up) - no rock to be seen.
Scaling up did not help - am I missing something!?!

Thanks in advance, Volker

3DGuy

Rock's are also broken.. moving them makes them dissapear. There's a thread about that somewhere.

Will

heh yea, ill get it hold on....

Right here it is: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=354.0

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Oshyan

Confirmed. This appears to be a bug in the sphere populator. Fortunately its use is fairly limited as compared to generalized populations. ;)

- Oshyan

hatter

OK - thanks Oshyan - no problem ! I was just trying to do some funky surreal image. Probably would have taken hours to render anyway !

Oshyan

If it would have involved reflective spheres, then yes it would take a looong time to render. ;)

- Oshyan