medieval Zutphen

Started by Dune, April 13, 2009, 05:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

This is my latest project (and my first image in image sharing); the Dutch city of Zutphen in medieval times. Mostly TG, but with afterwork in PS (smoke, market, people...). Rendered 4500 px wide, it has a lot of detail. In short, I'm hooked on TG!

---Dune

Tangled-Universe

Damn, this is really amazing work, love it!
Can you post a link to the full-res somewhere? I'd love to see all the details!
Can you also elaborate a bit for some of us on how you did some of this stuff?
I can imagine you used quite some painted shaders and especially image-mapping.
Also, how long did it took to render at this insane resolution?
You have captured the Dutch landscape very well I think!
I'm not from the area of Zutphen, nor do I remember much of the Dutch geology from my Geographyclasses, but the only thing I have a little my doubts of are the sandy shores.
I'd expect them to be a bit more clay-ish, but I could be well mistaken.

Very nice first image to share ;) do you have more? ;)

Martin

Mohawk20

A link to the full res would be great.

And if you would do people in poser and load them into TG as obj, and make the smoke with a 'painted shader'-blended cloud layer, you could do close-ups from any angle without a lot of postwork. (Just an idea...)
Howgh!

inkydigit

excellent scene...agree with Mohawk

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

sjefen

Well this is something different.
Besides some of the trees in the water, I really enjoy it.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

PorcupineFloyd

This is absolutely fantastic!

Fields and forests are place very well and it looks absolutely soft and natural. Masterpiece.

Saurav

Somehow I have missed this. Your results are excellent.

dandelO

Really excellent. The fields and trees are what makes it, great, natural looking trees and the tiny people take it even further. Love it.

It also reminds me of one of JimB's scenes with fields-from-above in a troubleshooting thread somewhere here, I never saw the finished render, though, I'd like to. (if you're reading this, JimB, did you ever post the finished project?)

Dune

"Thanks guys", he said humbly. Well, the people who commissioned this rather liked it as well. It will be featured in a book about Archeology, hence the large pixelwidth. It 'only' took about 14 hours though. But after a night's rendering, I did cut it off to save and rendered the rest separately, put it together in PS. Just in case we had an electricity breakdown (it happened before). I wouldn't know if TG saves the rendered bits progressively, so it could be restored from the temporary files after pc shutdown and restart. Does anybody know? Would be handy, I guess.
Anyway, there's a lot of image mapping indeed, no painted shader. Six or so image maps, and the rampart is a large, more detailed image map, put exactly at the right spot and with a small size, if I explain understandibly. With 5 meters displacement upwards. I even made another image map to try and make the wouden fence on top of the rampart. Just a thin 2 pixel line, with 2 meters vertical displacement. But that came out a bit rough, so I painted it over in PS. And the shadows missed here and there.
The trees I made in XFrog. And Sjefen, the trees in the water are supposed to be there; there's some flooded wood at the riverbanks. The sand, Martin, is quite right (so I heard) because the IJssel pushed its way through an ancient Rhine riverbed, which deposited a lot of sand. It's really a sandy riverbed.
The people are just a few pixels, so no need to make them in Poser.
The boats I did in XFrog. Just some leaves in the right shape, and some other forms. The only problem with close-ups is that the water tends to get into the boat, when it's low in the water. The soft atmo was done with two layers of clouds, one very low, and some trial and error to get it right. Same with the 'shadow' clouds.
Here's some more details.

---Dune

FrankB

great scene :-)

Two points to mention, though:
- the render quality is a bit low, isn't it?
- the trees seem too tall.

This comment is not to de-value your work, it's really (!) a pleasant scene, with all that detail every where that you have added in post!
However from the close-up crops, it seems that a higher render quality would have taken this a good step further. Secondly, just in case you would like to render it again, I would try to decrease the tree size by at least a half, and in turn make the populations denser of course.
Looking forward to see more work from you.

Cheers,
Frank

Mohawk20

TG2 doesn't save the image automatically, until it's completely finished.

And about the water in the boats, you could use a painted shader to paint the area where the boat is in the water, and use that to displace the waterplane downward, or even to set to non-opaque, so there is no water in the boat. But because objects are only visible by boundingbox, it would be a bit trial and error for the placement.
Howgh!

jo

Hi Dune,

I think this is a tremendous image, one of the best I've seen. It's the sort of thing I'm personally interested in seeing TG2 used for. I like that it retains a lot of the charm of an illustration. I'd really like to have it as a print on the wall, you'll have to let us know the details of the book when it's published.

I disagree with Frank about the size of the trees ;-), I think they look fine as they are.

Regards,

Jo

Dune

Thanks guys, for your words and ideas. The thing about the painted shader and downplacement of the water is a good idea, especially if I'd zoom in on some boat. You don't really notice that the boats float slightly above waterlevel (yes, they're really ancient hovercrafts).
And I too disagree with Frank about the tree sizes; the swampy trees are black elders (if I have the correct English name), which grow to a mature 25 meters, the oaks (in distance and some remaining in city) grow to 40 meters high, and the farms are not much higher than 10-12 meters.

I will post the book details when it's printed; it's supposed to be the next 'standard work' of Dutch Archeology (it is in Dutch though), and has about 10 spreads by me (and 700 smaller photo's and drawings by others). All TG work, except for one oil painting. If you're seriously interested in a print, Jo, I could have a print made on canvas/paper/aluminium or so. That's part of my business; designing information boards, and having them printed, and selling artwork and limited edition giclée prints, so I have the possibilities nearby.

I'll try to render a crop in higher resolution, see what it does.

Oh, here's another one for the book, a strange encampment in the Stone Age, of which archeologists don't know the purpose. They found only discolourations and wanted to have a real image to show what it could have looked like. So, all is quite accurately placed from maps. The little huts (spiekers) I made in XFrog, placed by hand, the rows of fences are thousands of single poles (XFrog), placed by image map. There are also 'grave hills' (displacement through image map), and celtic fields on a slighty wooded moorland. The area behind the encampment is a peat bog.

---Dune

rcallicotte

Brilliant.  It has the feel of going through a museum.  Excellent work all around.  Very good!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?