"collision detection"

Started by kevnar, April 16, 2009, 06:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevnar

Does the object population procedure have some sort of "collision detection"? What I mean is, if I'm populating more than one type of tree, does the procedure know not to put two different trees right on top of each other? Or if one object was a log cabin, would it know not to plant a tree out the roof of the cabin?

I know collision is the wrong word, since these things aren't in motion. I couldn't think of what to call it though. I hope you get what I mean.

Hetzen

Better still, would be to have the ability to select multiple objects for the same populator. As it stands there is no collision detection.

PorcupineFloyd

Quote from: Hetzen on April 16, 2009, 07:29:41 AM
Better still, would be to have the ability to select multiple objects for the same populator. As it stands there is no collision detection.

I second that. This way it would be easier to make big populations of forests for example. We can however use two populators with perlin noise as a density shader where first populator will use it straight and second - reversed. This way you'll have some variations through populations while using one perlin noise.
But still it would be easier to be able to use more than one model in populator.

Oshyan

As Hetzen said, there is currently no "collision detection". Hopefully something we can add in the future.

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

The thing with collision detection it should it adopted software wide this should negate near camera clipping issues of the camera ending up inside the terrain (A special case to this would be when under water rendering becomes possible in future) and the issue of the sun been visible though the terrain, an issue that many here are familiar with and work a round's exist as a band-aid solution in the mean time.

I submit that this is not the first time that Collision Detection has been proposed, at least not in such a formal manor of this request here. I myself have done so in other posts on these forums, suggesting a collision detection schema like the ones found in flight simulation games form late 1989 onward; the objective of which was to fix the situation of players been able to fly though objects on the ground, mountains been the classic case in point two games form Microprose are classic examples of this phenomena F-19 and F-15 Eagle.

It is interesting that this is been considered for implementation at a later point in time.  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel