Coastal waves/foam thru functions?

Started by Dune, April 17, 2009, 03:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I agree with Hetzen about that "a node network should be able to determine distance from shore", instead of masks, and in fact it does in the wave sinuses. I would think the same could be used to have the foam taper off. But I haven't figured that out. It would be great if we ended up with a clean and clear TGC to be plugged in as a waterworks-workaround, which would work in all circumstances, and is adjustable to certain needs. Just like Oshyan said.

The other thing I would like to have is a constant added somewhere to increase the breaker height. I tried something with an 'add' before and after the sin function, but it didn't work (for me). And perhaps some sort of 'twist and shear' to get the overhang controlled, with more overhang on the breakers closer to shore. The problem with the current twist and shear is that it works one way, not in a direction compared to shallow-deep water. You cannot plug anything into it.

And perhaps something to get foam where the water's edge meets land (or objects), yes, we're very demanding... The foam on my beach is now a surface layer in the shaders list, carefully placed where the water meets land, but it should really be 'on the water'.

I'm very curious where we'll end up.

---Dune

srb2001

Quote from: Oshyan on April 20, 2009, 10:52:56 PM
Quote from: srb2001 on April 20, 2009, 05:07:54 PM
I saw the Vue7 breakers demo, and they seem to have the issue licked.  Would TG's shoreline waves animate along this contour-concentric pattern you've accomplished?

Which demo is that?

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_7_infinite/videos/Small_Island_.html

Tangled-Universe

What a crappy demo  :-\ It's way too fast and only the last 2-3 seconds are good enough to actually see the function. Too short.
What I can say from those 2-3 seconds is that it doesn't look bad at all (for a new feature in dev).

Martin

kaisersuzuki

That feature is not in development if that is what you meant by "for a new feature in dev".  Foam generation like that demo is in current release.  I agree it is a crappy demo though.

srb2001

I have an older (RealWave 2.0) version of RealFlow's water surface generator.

It uses greyscale mapped sequences to perform wake sims based on collision detection of objects, particle sprays, or shoreline features:

# Creating RealWaves
# Emulating Large Bodies of Water
# Emulating Small Bodies of Water
# Adding Fractal Waves
# Adding Spectrum Waves
# Adding Control Points Waves
# Using Hypermesh
# Custom RealWave Meshes
# Controlling Object Buoyancy in Waves
# Creating Foam Textures
# Creating Wetmaps from RealWaves
# Static Points
# Particle Layer
# Coastline Features
# RealWave Object Properties
# RealWave Particle Interaction
# RealWave Particle Emission
# RealWave Splash Emission
# RealWave and Python Scripting

Pretty full-featured.  No wave curls like Arete/DNT Psunami may have had, though, as far as I know.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: kaisersuzuki on April 21, 2009, 01:31:08 PM
That feature is not in development if that is what you meant by "for a new feature in dev".  Foam generation like that demo is in current release.  I agree it is a crappy demo though.

That it is in a current release doesn't mean it is not in development. Especially because it is released for the first time in Vue 7.

I think the best example for this is Terragen 2 self. Many things/features available, but all still in development and further being improved/worked on.

Oshyan

Ah, I thought you were talking about a curling/crashing waves demo. I've seen that other vid and frankly wasn't that impressed. It's good that it has some level of fluid sim, and it gives acceptable results, but it's not showing anything new. Not that we are at present either in that area, I just thought that's what you meant since the conversation had turned to breaking waves. ;)

- Oshyan

srb2001

Here's Nils Thürey's 2007 paper on simulating curls, foams, and wakes utilizing heightfields.

Might be germane to TG's implementation?

http://graphics.ethz.ch/~thuereyn/download/nthuerey_070503_realtimeswswaves.pdf

http://graphics.ethz.ch/~thuereyn/download/nthuerey_070503_realtimeswswaves.mov

He develops fluid sims for the Blender Project.

Oshyan

Yea, I was quite interested in that paper. Not sure if it's something we could directly implement at any point, but it does occur to me that the eventual availability of the SDK might allow something like that...

- Oshyan

folder

hey guys, I was playing with the changes made by Dune and Hentzen ( ie removed 2nd foam layer, wave settings etc) and came up with the following, which is what i needed for the water in this scene. btw any suggestions as to the bare area and stones will be appreciated

rcallicotte

Just my opinion, since I'm not sure what you're aiming to do - the water needs less opacity. 

Any chance of seeing how you got here with the water?  This is an all around promising scene.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

folder

Calico

no problem here is the tgd file

I changed foam surface, removed extra foam layer, and changed some settings in the colour, bubble displ shader.  changed settings in the water shader. I also agree that opacity needs work, whatever you can so. I am currently rendering the whole scene and will post in images when finished

folder

folder

calico

surface layer 03 connects to stone base

folder

Dune

What about any bright ideas about getting the depth from the land and using this as a basis for wave displacement and foam dispersal?? I thought I found something (see attached render, but don't look at the horrible land), but it only seemed to work with a fractal based terrain, not with an imported TER or generated terrain.

I don't really understand what the difference is in output between fractals, TER or generated terrain/eroded terrain. Anyone? If you attach a surface layer/distribution layer as a blending mask for the water/foam layers to this output, you should be able to get foam and waves where you want them with the altitude/slope settings. But there's only a difference (no foam/all foam) at 0 or 0.0001 altitude, not around waterlevel and downwards. I almost give up, but I hope for some bright mathematician to come up with the final solution!

Mohawk20

I hope you'll at least continue on fractal terrains, because this looks great!
Howgh!