Coastal waves/foam thru functions?

Started by Dune, April 17, 2009, 03:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

Quote from: srb2001 on April 22, 2009, 01:16:16 PM
Here's Nils Thürey's 2007 paper on simulating curls, foams, and wakes utilizing heightfields.

Might be germane to TG's implementation?

http://graphics.ethz.ch/~thuereyn/download/nthuerey_070503_realtimeswswaves.pdf

http://graphics.ethz.ch/~thuereyn/download/nthuerey_070503_realtimeswswaves.mov

He develops fluid sims for the Blender Project.

This is what I did with the fluid sim quickly in Blender to test it out. The simulation does look good I think.

http://www.vimeo.com/1788541

http://www.vimeo.com/1730968

Mohawk20

Howgh!

moodflow

Dune, this is starting to come together.  Keep this going!
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Hetzen

Looking good Dune. Best image yet.

I've not had much chance to get back involved with other commitments and projects on, but have had some new ideas on the functions side of things, which I'll have a play with the latter end of next week. I think I want to roll back a little from the white horses for the moment, because I think there is more scope with the node network, particularly with determining wave direction to change the shape of the wave's front from the back. Plus using the altitude return to trigger certain characteristics of surf formation. Just air guitar thoughts from the car on the way to work at the moment.

Hetzen

Interesting work Reck. Not sure how you'll get that to work within TG, or how long it would take to calculate that in real world units on exported terrain. At some point there's always going to be some form of fudge factor to get this to work, especially in any sort of animation.

Hetzen

Quote from: jo on April 20, 2009, 10:11:35 PM
Hi Hetzen,

Have you experimented with the Notifier node? You won't get the real time feedback from the mouse, but it may be possible to set it up so that it triggers when a certain point in the scene you're interested in is being evaluated.

Regards,

Jo

Sorry missed this Jo.

The problem is, is that I want to know where that certain point in the scene is. Like what values are being returned by the sine function, at the moment I'm guessing it's cyclical between -1 through 0 to 1 and back again. But that's just a guess and makes designing these things difficult without any guidance through a/ real time feedback or b/ any meaningfull documentation. I really don't think it would be too hard to impliment.

Dune

I too have little time to experiment, but seem to be drawn back to the swells/foam ever again. I just want to understand, I even dreamed about nodes last night  :-\ Wasn't too horrible.

Today, besides finishing an oil painting, I'll see what happens if I put a constant in place of the get altitude. And see what happens if I make a surface layer after base colours, implement certain height restrictions, attach it to something that makes x and z coordinates, then to the foamshader, or convert to color again. Something like that. That's the only way I do this thing; by trial and error and some vague understanding. The mask way works, but then the colour of the foam fades to gray where the mask fades, and it should only fade the appearance. And when you haven't got the mask proper, it's more work to get it exactly right. So it's still the nodes that should do the trick.

---Dune

Dune

I made a simple foam dispersal setup for anyone to experiment. If anyone can get the foam to disappear over the red area, he/she deserves a place in the book of fame! The red area, of course, should not be visible in the end, only the coastal foam. Don't forget to first make the heightfield with the current settings.

This is the last I will be doing, as I'm getting kind of disturbed over this issue.

---Dune

rcallicotte

GROOVY!!!  Thank you so much.  Now, to learn...

;D

Quote from: folder on April 24, 2009, 11:25:55 PM
Calico

no problem here is the tgd file

I changed foam surface, removed extra foam layer, and changed some settings in the colour, bubble displ shader.  changed settings in the water shader. I also agree that opacity needs work, whatever you can so. I am currently rendering the whole scene and will post in images when finished

folder
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

Reck, that is great work, especially using a free program.  Brilliant!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

pfrancke

Dune, please don't give up!  You've got the best waves and water out there.  I am very poor at TG, so please take this with a grain of salt (I might be not understanding something here)  I took a look at your last basic tgd file (so that I might learn from your techniques) and I did note a what I think is a problem with the POV that you selected - which is adding a confusing variable to all this.  I think your POV is right on the edge of the radius of the lake instead of on the edge of an island that is inside of your lake.  Back your POV further back and you'll see what I'm saying.

Regards,
Piet

pfrancke

Further rambling from someone who is very lost in even thinking about this...  my fear is that it is difficult to make anything happen based on an elevation check, because the reported elevation is that of the surface of the water (top of waves), not the surface of the ground under the water.

Dune

Hi Piet,

I'll have a look at the POV, but what you say about the altitude is my fear as well, hence my challenge to the wizzkids. On the other hand, if you have a surface shader there's the possibility to give the soil at a certain height a colour (see my red-stained underwater area), why can this (coloured area) not be translated to the water plane (actually the attached foam layer)? I tried all sorts of functions, another water shader, colour to vector, vector to colour, etc, etc. No luck so far.
Perhaps mixing to worlds together, one with the water, one without, where the altitude is based upon the waterless world and transferred to the waterworld might do it, I don;t know... just another wild guess.

---Dune

pfrancke

I think I got a little closer to this... see the attached tgd, I changed the pov - but key was hooking up the compute terrain to the "perhaps more foam" input node and then using altitude constraints.  So the check is looking at true surface (instead of water surface), but the foam is still applied to the water surface.  But I'm getting some black spotches in the red area now (but that might not matter as it is under water. 

pfrancke

Sorry for bombarding this thread --

I updated the pov in the attached tgd to be away from lake border -- Also, I learned bunches from this - but am not sure if I was helpful

Piet