Coastal waves/foam thru functions?

Started by Dune, April 17, 2009, 03:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

That is amazing, Jon. Congratulations on your job! I've been at it for a while as well, but my math won't stand up to yours. I only found a way to get 'ridged' waves following the coast, which can be blended with the normal sinus, but the curling is still done by twist and shear shader, and only possible into one direction, i.e. local.
Perhaps your method can be implemented in the software itself in due time, would be great!

bobbystahr

Wow...I'm gob smacked by this...too beautiful and a few tweaks away from real waves...way t' go mate.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hetzen

Thanks guys, but I don't think I've cracked it yet. There's another 400frm animation to upload as soon as Vimeo sorts itself out.

I wanted to see where and how the PFs will fall down, it's a fine line getting the movement to variation, and when I can get the latest rendering up, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Even so, I've got some more ideas which should address some of the problems.

microwar

Looks very realistic first, and then nature starts to freak out  :o

Very impresive !

gsmith

Brilliant work ;) I have a hard time getting any foam on my ocean surface at all, you seem to pretty much have it mastered hehe.

Hetzen

Lol at microwar, you're not wrong. Things go a little hectic towards the end.....

http://vimeo.com/22784540

monks

heh, yes towards the end looks a little unrealistic- but that kind of stuff could work for very turbulent water, like stormy seas, etc. It's like wind action.

monks

mhaze

Hetzen

Quote from: mhaze on April 24, 2011, 12:41:18 PM
every 7th wave....  Great work

I kind of got the syntax wrong on that, it should be the height of the wave, is one 7th of the wave frequency. (on average, and yes, waves do compress when you consider back draw (?)).

The above was just playing around with PFs, so it was a finger in the air on the look. What this won't do atm is follow coastal relief, which is possible with Dune's approach. Using sine waves will eliminate the need to use get normal to displace by, which is a big ask to displace something then to have the program to look at the slope direction on rendereing to influence the previous displacment. Which is why there's popping geometry.

RedSquare

I admire your tenacity in attempting this.  You are both approaching something worth while methinks.   8)

sjefen

Very impressive work  :o

Regards,
Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

freelancah

Wow. This is really incredible work!  :o

Hetzen

We've got a new tool. ;D

Looking forward to jumping back on this.

rcallicotte

Wow Hetzen.  Thanks for the shock and encouragement.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?