Coastal waves/foam thru functions?

Started by Dune, April 17, 2009, 03:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I have attached a new (same name) TGD, but the problem remains; how to get a translation from real land depth/altitude to a masking/blending layer for the foam. What you did, Piet, was not the right way, at least it didn't work for me. The foam should somehow disappear over the red area (or the not-red waterplane). This is just a basic setup to have a good view what happens when you get to experiment. First generate the land.

---Dune

Hetzen

This little problem has been swilling around my mind for a while now, and I think I've made a breakthrough in terms of wave shape, and in particular getting a breaking curve on the front of an incoming wave. Still needs a lot of work yet, but I'm fairly confident that I can get these waves to crash against a shore slope, I have full control over the height, back & front wave width, where on the wave I want to put displacment and the curl. All of which will be driven by the get frame node. ie it animates.

Things to do: Convert the Get X function to work from Get Altitude. Get some Perlin noise to affect the distance between waves as well as animate the offset of when they rise/fall and break. Animate a small segment and see how the backwash might be simulated. Then start texturing. (With this little set up, I can put a mask anywhere on the wave)

I'm thinking of not using the water shader at all on this, as I figure white foam is going to cover any transparent parts, which means this won't be a monster to render. Hopefully.

Anyway thought you guys might want to have a look.

Cheers

Dune

Hey Hetzen, that looks very interesting! Blue nodes, I suspect. You'd have to break up the regularity by PF, but I look forward to some more inside info!

Hetzen

Yeah looks interesting. It would be good to see if we can bolt on your work in pf textures, seeing I've found a way of animating PFs without keyframes. And yeah, there are some blues in there ;)

Just a quick update. I've now got the altitude and frame number to move the waves in shore. There's a hard cut-off at 0m atm. I'm now working on getting the PF which modulates the concentric(ness) to modulate over time.

Hetzen

Just an update on the surf animation....

FrankB

looks super cool - if you can find a way to breakup the clean front-line of the broken wave rushing forward, it will not look CG anymore.
Anyway, we have never seen somebody achieve something that good with waves, yet. You can be proud of yourself, really!  :)

Regards,
Frank

Hetzen

Yeah it does need some work. What I need to do is sync the breaker with the surf, which is going to be interesting  :D

Also, more variation in the height of the beach will help.

Hetzen

I made some progress with this today after leaving it on the shelf for a while. There's a static noise in this render which needs to go, but the movement isn't a million miles away.

There's a few refinements needed, like accelerating the wave's lateral movement when it reaches it's peak, which should make breaking water faster than the rest of the wave. The animation a few posts up I'd like to incorporate with this one as well, somehow getting the water plane to rise up a beach, then recide.

Oshyan

Impressive, that looks quite good (although a bit hard to tell details at the low resolution).

- Oshyan

Hetzen

That's kind Oshyan. I've set an 800 frm render tonight, to see how long the fractals hold up, which I'll try and stick on Vimeo tomorrow. The detail isn't too bad, but I don't think this will hold too close to the waves. There's some popping displacements which I'm not too sure what to do with them yet, maybe as a last resort, render out a displacement animation, then batch frame dust and scratches..

Oshyan

Might be able to fix the displacement issues with some tweaked render settings. I'd have to see what you're referring to specifically to know.

- Oshyan

Hetzen

Quote from: Oshyan on April 22, 2011, 09:47:27 PM
Might be able to fix the displacement issues with some tweaked render settings. I'd have to see what you're referring to specifically to know.

- Oshyan

I'm using a get normal to find the wave facing, which I suspect is the culprit. It could be a case of tweaking the patch size in the compute terrain to solve. Or animate a doctored mask.

I'll see if 'displacement tolerance' on the water plane object, helps on a problem frame.

monks

Hetzen

Thanks monks/Kadri.

Here's the above animation in better rez.

http://vimeo.com/22763488

I'll probably have @600 out of that 800 tomorrow.