100 -xfrog plants for free

Started by kleinm, April 17, 2009, 10:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Very interesting!
So if you own a compatible version of 3DsMax you can convert them to obj for Terragen.
Or if you have software like Deep Exploration, which allows you to convert almost every object format to another without needing to have the corresponding software.
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Doesn't PoseRay do the same thing, Mohawk?  I haven't tried yet.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

cyphyr

Nothing exports or converts .max files other than 3dsMax itself or the Oniko PoyTrans plugin for Max (which of course needs Max)
hrumph I wonder if these will be the free plants we get once Xfrog gets around to it
not holding breath here tho...
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

neuspadrin

yeh that bummed me too.  maybe they are releasing the same ones as objs for us?

kleinm

i just had a look - they all come with the xfrog file.
should be poss. to export from xfrog tune also.

Mohawk20

I downloaded some that I liked, and converted them to obj. The complete sets that one would pay money for contain between 4 and 9 variations of one plant, mostly younger and older variants. These only have 3 out of 9 of those, but that's still 3 more than none  ;D

I'm in the process of converting these to tgo, mostly changing the specular setting, and applying opacity maps and bumpmaps, both are in the package, but I guess TG can't read tham correctly from the mtl, or Deep Exploration didn't write them in correctly...

As to the question:
Quote from: calico on April 17, 2009, 12:04:04 PM
Doesn't PoseRay do the same thing, Mohawk?  I haven't tried yet.

Poseray doesn't read .max files (only .3ds but that's an old format), and only poser and DAZ scenes natively. So for converting Max files, or XFrog or Maya format you need Deep Exploration, or the native software.
Howgh!

Matt

Hi Mohawk,

I think that legally you're only allowed to use those free plants within Autodesk products. You should check the license agreement to make sure.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

buzzzzz1

Besides Tomorrow is Earth Day right?

This was posted in the Xfrog Yahoo Group on Apr. 20     So there must be something to it.

Quote: On Earth Day, we will release something very special in conjunction with Planetside Software, on our website.

Please stay tuned.

stewart mcsherry
xfrog inc | greenworks organic software
503 boccaccio ave
venice ca 90291
310 933 5949
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

arisdemos

I received an email just 2 days ago from Xfrog, and it said that the release of the tgo goodies would be coming on "Earth Day," and that message certainly confirms my optimistic guestimate (Earlier on a PS forum thread) that the 22nd would be when things come down. Good tidings,....I hope.

buzzzzz1

Quote from: arisdemos on April 21, 2009, 11:34:08 AM
I received an email just 2 days ago from Xfrog, and it said that the release of the tgo goodies would be coming on "Earth Day," and that message certainly confirms my optimistic guestimate (Earlier on a PS forum thread) that the 22nd would be when things come down. Good tidings,....I hope.

Yeah, I received the same email.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

xfrog

Sorry to burst into this but those plants are licensed to Autodesk for 3ds max and maya users.  When you join seek.autodesk.com you have to agree to legal that excludes migrating them outside Autodesk products.   We also have a legal.txt inside each Autodesk zip mentioning the same, and copyrights are in-place inside the textures and xfrs and max and maya files.   <whew...>     you probably don't want to mess with those copyrights and restrictions as it isn't just me it's Autodesk as well.   

P.S. The Earth Day release, is not the same files.

-stewart mcsherry

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 17, 2009, 11:59:52 AM
Very interesting!
So if you own a compatible version of 3DsMax you can convert them to obj for Terragen.
Or if you have software like Deep Exploration, which allows you to convert almost every object format to another without needing to have the corresponding software.

xfrog

Wise guestimate.

Earth Day seemed like a good pick for Planetside and greenworks/xfrog inc to make an announcement.

Thanks everyone for your patience.

Quote from: arisdemos on April 21, 2009, 11:34:08 AM

Mohawk20

Quote from: xfrog on April 21, 2009, 08:26:47 PM
Sorry to burst into this but those plants are licensed to Autodesk for 3ds max and maya users.  When you join seek.autodesk.com you have to agree to legal that excludes migrating them outside Autodesk products.   We also have a legal.txt inside each Autodesk zip mentioning the same, and copyrights are in-place inside the textures and xfrs and max and maya files.   <whew...>     you probably don't want to mess with those copyrights and restrictions as it isn't just me it's Autodesk as well.   

P.S. The Earth Day release, is not the same files.

-stewart mcsherry

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 17, 2009, 11:59:52 AM
Very interesting!

Ooops, I should read better before thinking.... :-[ :-X
Howgh!

Zylot

Is this gonna be like "end of march" again, where earth day is extended by an extra day?  Just wanna know if I'm gonna have two days to celebrate.