Sluggish screen re-draw in latest version

Started by cyphyr, April 18, 2009, 12:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Hi Gang
Anyone else noticed this, the screen redraw is very sluggish in the latest version. This is especially noticeable in more complex scenes. If I change a parameter or move the camera there is a delay before the cursor becomes visible again or the scene starts to re-draw. Ok now I am using an old graphics card, an NVidea 7950 so it might be a problem with just that card but has anybody had a similar experience ?
richard
edit Oh and this behavior is not limited to a long session, happens as soon as a reasonably complex scene is loaded. No crashes so far but it is a little annoying.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Mohawk20

Do you have a lot of instances with 'preview instances' enabled? Then it would be logical it's sluggish.
Howgh!

Aagam

Hetzen

I've got the same graphics card. I bought one of those top dogs ATI cards 4870? Anyway, found it useless in Max, so reinstalled my old card with the latest drivers, and now works much better.

Oshyan

I've not seen any noticeable slowdown in newer versions compared to older, but it's definitely something we should know about if it's happening. The first thing to do of course is always check for newer graphics drivers. Failing that we'll have to do some more investigation. What OS are you running?

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Are you checking between scenes with less objects and scenes with less objects?  Don't forget, too, that we can add more objects with all of their textures not (unlike before) and this does affect TG2's memory and efficiency as more objects are added.

Or maybe this has nothing to do with it.  What do you think?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Moose

Have you got "Use Line Smoothing" checked in the prefs?

cyphyr

Not sure if I've got line smoothing checked in prefs or not, I'll check when I get back

Quote from: Hetzen on April 18, 2009, 02:47:23 PM
I've got the same graphics card. I bought one of those top dogs ATI cards 4870? Anyway, found it useless in Max, so reinstalled my old card with the latest drivers, and now works much better.
Were you getting issues with Terragen with the old graphics card.

It dose get a LOT slower I have a lot of instances with 'preview instances' enabled? By a lot I mean maybe 6 or so with anything from 100 to several millions of instances each. I generally dont have instances set to preview anyway. ouir is more in the node previews and particularly the

The general behavouir is that I'll type something in a dialog box, either floating ot the side pannels and it'll take ages to move on to the next input field, either pressing tab, enter or manually clicking in the next fiels, seems to be a focus problem.
I'm thinking its some thing to  do with the complexity of the node network. The graphics card drivers are upto date although they are trying to run under Windows 7 so who knows how effective they are. ;)
(Sorry, thats the system I'm writing on, had a seioir moment. lol)
The system I'm getting the slow down on in Windows Vista 64 Ultimate

richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

We're definitely not supporting Windows 7 yet, we've done only very limited testing on a high-end system thus far. Is it possible for you to check if this behavior is limited to Win7?

- Oshyan