20021 crashes on startup: microsoft visual c++ runtime library, runtime error!

Started by n1c0la5, April 19, 2009, 07:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n1c0la5

When i run the 20021 i immediately get a crash: microsoft visual c++ runtime library, runtime error! program ...\tgd.exe this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in a unusual way. please contact the application's support team for more information

The beta (1.10.23.1) runs fine...

Fresh install of Windows XPSP2 + SP3 and all current patches.
Ati FireGL X2, AMD X64 3000+, 1Gb

Are there any additional components i need to install?

Nicolas

Oshyan

There are no additional components. That's definitely a strange problem. A couple things to try. First and most obvious, try a complete uninstall and reinstall. If that doesn't work, make sure you have the absolute latest version of your graphics card driver. Then try reducing acceleration in the graphics card driver settings. You can also try disabling Data Execution Prevention in advanced system settings, or just add Terragen 2 (tgd.exe) to the exception list. running tgdcli.exe, from the installation directory of TG2 might also give you more information on the crash. Let us know if any of that helps.

- Oshyan

n1c0la5

Hi Oshyan,

Thanks for your suggestions:
1. complete uninstall and reinstall: still crashes
2. latest Ati driver (FirePro_8.583_XP32_77157.exe): still crashes
3. reduced acceleration in the graphics card driver settings: set to none, disabled write combining still crashes
4. disabled DEPfor tgd.exe and tgdcli.exe: still crashes
5. running tgdcli.exe, from the installation directory of TG2 crashes with:
C:\Program Files\Planetside Software\Terragen 2 Deep Edition>tgdcli
<<<### APP RUN STARTED ###>>>
Terragen 2 v2.0 (build 2.0.2.1)
An unhandled exception occurred.

I'm logged in as the local administrator, disabled the virusscanner during install and also whilst running

Can you think of something else to try before i reinstall XP?

Nicolas

jo

Hi Nicolas,

Don't reinstall XP, at least not yet. Windows users are too quick to do that IMO.

I can say that the problem is obviously happening very early in the application startup. I'll have a look today to see if I can see what might be the problem.

Regards,

Jo

Oshyan

Do you have any other problems with other apps? Have you checked system manager for system or app event warnings and info? Tested memory? Are you overclocking your CPU at all? I'm grasping at straws a bit here as this seems quite an extreme error, which we haven't seen before. But perhaps Jo can figure it out...

- Oshyan

n1c0la5

Hi Guys,

Thanks for looking into this (other apps are fine, no overclocking, memory is ok). I've given up on this Windows machine.
On wine it doesn't crash and renders fine (ui is a different story but that's ok for the moment).

Problem solved!

Nicolas

n1c0la5

(ok, wasn't really resolved: i was rather upset as i managed to break my windows license ... fixed that by reinstalling Windows after making sure the hardware config was exactly the same as when i originally activated it).

Just found the cause of the problem: PEBKAC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEBKAC)! I copied the key file to the machine using ftp ... in ascii mode :-\

Nicolas

jo

Hi,

It's supposed to put up a dialog if it can't find a key file, I'll check that out.

Regards,

Jo

neuspadrin

but he had the keyfile there, just encoded wrong/corrupt. so the keyfile checker needs some sort of way to detect a corrupted keyfile or one thats not actually a key file, and pop up an appropriate error message.  As currently it seems unhandled and can't process correctly, causing the crash.

jo

Hi,

That's what happens when you post messages well after your bedtime :-). Glad to hear it's resolved. Not sure what could be done about checking key files, not my area, but I'll mention it to the others.

Regards,

Jo