Rendering Test bech test on i7 920

Started by helfire, April 21, 2009, 10:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helfire

Just finished building my new rig i7 920 clocked to 4ghz (D0 Stepping chip) with 6 GB 1600mhz ram and duel nvidia 620's. Running vista 64bit ultimate. Running T2 built 2.0.2.1.
So decided to to do the benchmark test render. It compleats this in just over 9 mins at default settings. But ive noticed that under task manager the CPU is only running at 5o% (ish). I thought that it would be using more than this. Ive got HT enables so reporting 8 cores. 
Any suggestions why i dont seem to be running at 100%

Chris
Intel i7 920 @4Ghz. 6Gb Ram 2 x GTX 620. Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Oshyan

Does TG2 actually show 8 cores detected in the About screen? Most likely not as we have defaulted to not utilizing HT "cores" (since they're not physical cores and performance in past HT versions was actually degraded for an app like TG2). For a Core i7 you can manually set 8 cores, either in each individual Renderer node, or in the master override in the preferences. I would be interested in seeing your results then. At that speed it should be in the 6 minute range.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

FrankB also has an i7 920 and he recently posted here somewhere that with the settings for minimum threads @ 8 and max threads @ 16 will trigger the HT and unleashes the full power of your crazy overclocked i7 ;) ;D

cyphyr

9 min (or even 6min !!)
Ok I'm now officially jealous! ;D
me want one !
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

helfire

Started doing some tests now fastest ive got so far is 6min 49s with HT on and cores set to 8. Going to run tests with HT on then off. It seems to render the most of the frame at 100% untill the last part with the ball then drops to around 20% for the remainder.
As for the overclock the new 920 with D0 stepping are reporting running up tp 4.3Ghz on air and require alot less volts than the older C0 ones. Got mine at 4Ghz on air with minor voltage increse. Real bargin performance.
Intel i7 920 @4Ghz. 6Gb Ram 2 x GTX 620. Vista Ultimate 64bit.