Forgettable Morning -Final-

Started by Zylot, April 21, 2009, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zylot

1st Render, trying to set the mood here...  will work of variety of vegetation and such when I like what I see.

rcallicotte

Nice lighting, but turn off the "sun-through-the mountain" phenomenon.

I like the simplicity and the distant trees.  Pleasant colors.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Zylot

Good point, how is that done?  I have ray traced shadows enabled everywhere it should be...

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Zylot on April 21, 2009, 03:24:53 PM
Good point, how is that done?  I have ray traced shadows enabled everywhere it should be...

I think your sun is *just* above the terrain and what you see is just a glow-effect.
You can check this by letting the preview render finish its preview and keep atmosphere disabled.
You will still see the cross-hair/boundary-box of the sun (if it is above the terrain).

In case it is behind the terrain you should have raytraced shadows enabled in your atmospherenode.

Martin

Zylot

Actually, I did a quick check, and it seems the only way I was able to get it working was to have ray traced shadows enabled not only in the atmo, but in *all clouds in front of the sun* as well.  New render on the way, now that that's taken care of.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Zylot on April 21, 2009, 05:06:53 PM
Actually, I did a quick check, and it seems the only way I was able to get it working was to have ray traced shadows enabled not only in the atmo, but in *all clouds in front of the sun* as well.  New render on the way, now that that's taken care of.

Hmmm...though a bit strange....did you also check the sun's position?? Is it really behind the terrain??

Another things which could be useful: it is not necessary to render the entire image again. I would only render the "wrong" part and enable the ray detail region padding feature in the renderer.
Set it to "detail in crop" and set the value to 1.
Now render the crop and postwork it into your existing render.
If you don't render a crop you'll see that when with everything being raytraced the render will be much much slower.

Zylot

Yeah, but there's alot of changes (the whole POV is changed now, and some work on lighting and atmo, as well as improving the populations), so a new render is in order.

cyphyr

Nothing unforgettable about this image, very subtle lighting and beautiful mood. just sort out the "sun behind mountain" effect and render over a weekend ( ie, high resolution and high detail and quality/sample settings) and you have a classic image here. :)

Sometimes "less s more" ;)

richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Zylot

POV changed due to: when I switch from standard res to 1360x768 I lose alot of the sky, and my guesstimates didn't compensate for that in the original render.  Now we can see that sky.

Other changes:
-> Better pop distribution, additional trees so it's not quite as bland.
-> Additional clouding, changed densities around.
-> Moved sun a tad and got it to stop shining through all the trees and mountain, still alot of glow though.

rcallicotte

Very nice.  With a variety of trees, set to some translucency though Medium quality, this would be up for IOTW.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Zylot

Final version, fixed up the tree line, and made a few very slight changes.

high quality .png @ ashundar: http://www.terragen.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-5880
Full res and high quality BMP @ my webspace: http://www.ztcenter.net/Renders/Forgettable Morning.bmp

Always interested in what folks have to say, so C&C away.

Naoo

Hi

Great Atmo!

My idea is a simple, small boat on the far left side of the beach.

ciao
Naoo

Seth