Help "Plate Tectonics"

Started by SKinTX, April 22, 2009, 10:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKinTX

I'm an 8th Grade Science teacher and I'm looking for a software package which would allow me to create a dramatic animation of mountain building when tectonic plate collide or the formation of rift valleys when plates pull apart.  Visualizing the "break-up of Pangaea" would also helpful.  Will Terragen do this sort of animation?

bigben

It certainly sounds like an interesting challenge although it would probably require a fair degree of experience with TG.

Goms

i could imagine yes.
there should be at least two ways, but both would require a greater know-how.
In TG2 there is a warp shader that could do something like a subduction. At now I'm at work, but i will try this evening. :)
Great challenge!
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

Oshyan

The simple (and maybe not visually impressive) way would be to have 2 heightfields with the features of the separate plates, animate their positions, and then use a Painted Shader mask along the collision area to mask a Power Fractal, with the Displacement Amplitude of the Power Fractal also animated, increasing dramatically at the moment of impact. There are some variations on that which would work, perhaps better, but that's the basic idea. I'm sure there are better overall methods.

- Oshyan

Goms

i tested a function-based method and it seems to work so far.
the idea was to make the two plates out of the positive and the negative x-scalars from a "get position in texture".
when a transform shader is used on this two, they can be moved. so the collusion-zone can be rised with a fractal with the "plate A x plate B x 10 (as the values are too small otherwise)".
I have to invest some time this weekend in this, so long i only have an idea about the technique.
Also, if anyone with the animation-version has time and is interested, i would like to see this animated. :D
This is what i have so far.
Before: http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/151/32695450.png
After: http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1773/37463447.png

Oshyan

Wow, surprisingly good preliminary results!

- Oshyan

Goms

Thank you Oshyan. :)
Right now i'm thinking about how to get the right dimensions. An animation of this would be "filmed" from great height and a huge time, so there has to be a) something to show how huge this structures are and b) something to show the time.
Also the plates need structures that move with the plate, what is not really what i would call "easy".
The function-thing won't work there i think, maybe with a good redirect shader and some masking. :D
Some more images so far: http://img14.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=97861287.jpg (gallery)
I'll try further :D

SKinTX

I've used the free version of Terragen 2 to make simple landscapes, but your descriptions have lost me.  It may be too complex for me to complete.

Goms

Nevermind, until now its not working like it should.
I have some time this weekend, so i will see if i can create something that's easy and working. ;)
When I'm done so far i will post the file and explain it. So i think you're not looking for the most elegant solution, but for the most easy?
I'll try to figure something out. :)

neuspadrin

Quote from: SKinTX on April 24, 2009, 01:02:05 AM
I've used the free version of Terragen 2 to make simple landscapes, but your descriptions have lost me.  It may be too complex for me to complete.

You will also have to pay for deep + animation if you want to animate the process once you figure it out.