Wild Garlic and Bluebells

Started by cyphyr, April 23, 2009, 08:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Quote from: Oshyan on April 23, 2009, 03:12:06 PM
With 64 bit it can use up to 4GB.

Is it still "only" 4GB under 64 Bit? That would really frustrate me if it turned out to be correct :-\
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

neuspadrin

Quote from: MacGyver on April 24, 2009, 02:39:29 PM
Quote from: Oshyan on April 23, 2009, 03:12:06 PM
With 64 bit it can use up to 4GB.

Is it still "only" 4GB under 64 Bit? That would really frustrate me if it turned out to be correct :-\

Until we get a 64bit installer yes, limited to the 4gb mark.  Though if i recall correctly 64bit is on the high priority list after release, which just happened... sooo.... 64bit soon :)

MacGyver

Aaah, you mean TG2 in particular, not 64 Bit applications in general! :) I feel much better already ;)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Cyber-Angel

I think and I may stand corrected, but wouldn't porting some thing of the complexity of TG2 be a major under taking? With that in mind I think it could be a major project for the team at Planetside to under take; at the vary least the time scale that it took for multi-threading to be implemented at the outside and with all these things it is best for safety to take that time scale and triple it, as things normally run into delays of one kind or another.

With the aforementioned delays you get all the usual "Wheres our beloved software, why is it taking so long" type threads on these forums, these are of course written by Fan boy's which naturally leads to the moaning and bitching by the other sub-groups that are inclined to follow Fan boy's every where, only because by doing so they thing they'll get more attention in their sad lives and the also think its so cool; these are the geeks, dweebs and associated girls, that I call ladies, now listen up ladies we know where you live!

8) ::)   

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel               

neuspadrin

I believe its less time required to do a 64bit port then to add multithreading.  From what I know it requires a few tweaks, and a recompile for a 64bit binary, but I haven't ever really fully looked into it.  Where as multithreading requires reworking a lot of code to be able to run in multiple threads, etc.

cyphyr

I thought we already had multithreading, or are you referring to hyperthreading?
Ah I should read slower, hope we get 64 bit soon!
:)
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

Yes, it's 4GB per application for 32 bit applications *that have been compiled with "large address space" awareness* (i.e. not all 32 bit apps!). For all other 32 bit apps it's 2GB, even under a 64 bit OS.

Converting to a 64 bit app is non-trivial, but my understanding is it's less of a problem than going multi-threaded. It's not something you should expect "soon", but we've already begun preliminary work on it so at least it's in progress.

- Oshyan

cyphyr

Just following upon the 64bit issue, I know this is not expected soon but can we expect this within the 2.x cycle (ie part of the paid for upgrades) ?
thanks
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

BlueRose

Hey this is really pretty, I love the light streaming in at the very bottom left.  Just a comment from a gardening point of view

- the two patches of white flowers are not repeated anywhere else (you have an uninterrupted field of blue behind  - which is usual for a field of bluebells but then why include the white flowers as well and not use elsewhere?)

- is the red stuff in the foreground dirt?  if so I have only seen dirt that red in the Aussie outback and in Hawaii - neither of which are known for their bluebells :)

neuspadrin

Quote from: cyphyr on April 25, 2009, 05:28:55 AM
Just following upon the 64bit issue, I know this is not expected soon but can we expect this within the 2.x cycle (ie part of the paid for upgrades) ?
thanks
richard

Yes, thats for sure.  I believe when planetside says "not soon" they mean a few months, so probably by end of yearish.

Oshyan

64 bit support will be part of the 2.x product and will be a free update for registered users.

- Oshyan

Matt

Quote from: cyphyr on April 23, 2009, 02:56:11 PM
OK I did wonder if I should have lowered the cache but my reasoning was that with 400mb cache and 4 cores I'd be using 1600 mb of memory so with 13 populations and their associated image maps I figured it would be wise to take advantage of the extra 1400mb of unused ram (I have 8 gig but I'm assuming TG2 will only use up to 3.2gig (ish). Not wanting to push the issue I "split the difference" and settled for the middle ground. 600Mb cache on 4 cores giving a total 2400mb cache.
Obviously I have misunderstood the whole cache issue.
:)
richard

The subdiv cache is only one part of the renderer - there are many other things that need memory. It's just that the subdiv cache is one of the few things that can be adjusted if necessary. Allowing Terragen to allocate all of your available memory for just the subdiv cache is a very bad idea. Also, as Oshyan says, the value you enter is the total size shared among all the render threads.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.