New free plants?

Started by Mohawk20, April 27, 2009, 11:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Just wondering, since there is an announcement (in the announcement section ;)) about TG2 officially being released, with all the links to the various downloads and purchases and stuff. There is also a link to the old pack of X-Frog trees.

I remember reading on this forum about new free X-Frog plants to be released simultaneously with the official TG2.
Is that still on schedule? Is there a link somewhere?
Or am I mistaken, which is also a good possibility...  ;)

No rush though, I'm saving up for the full 1300 tree pack anyways.
Howgh!

buzzzzz1

See Text in Red.   :D

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 27, 2009, 11:59:36 AM
Just wondering, since there is an announcement (in the announcement section ;)) about TG2 officially being released, with all the links to the various downloads and purchases and stuff. There is also a link to the old pack of X-Frog trees.

I remember reading on this forum about new free X-Frog plants to be released simultaneously with the official TG2.
Is that still on schedule? Is there a link somewhere?
Or am I mistaken, which is also a good possibility...  ;)

No rush though, I'm saving up for the full 1300 tree pack anyways.

Quote from: xfrog on April 27, 2009, 01:46:21 AM
hi anders, selling content is not quite the same as selling a title.  content pricing can be dependent on how many licensed seats exist of the host software.  e.g. it is possible to sell very low price for individual models in daz3d as they have many 100,000's of valid users of the underlying software.  it is not as easy in terragen 2, because there is not (quite yet) a very large volume of users.

turbosquid, cornucopia3d, renderosity, daz3d, host our individual plant models as well as our boxes and the OBJ in all those work fine in terragen 2.   

what we are trying to offer as a tg2-xfrog bundle is to create something by which both planetside and xfrog can benefit.   if we sell small clusters or individuals, on our site or other portal, planetside gets no direct benefit whatsoever.  we want planetside to grow because we believe strongly in Terragen 2. that is also why we are in the forum.  i hear what a lot of you are saying - you want small clusters for a low price, because you dont need 1,300 models and you can't afford a high purchase price.  we are thinking about what to do about this with planetside.   the two key issues, i will dangerously repeat myself, are that tg2 has not the largest base of users (quite yet)  and therefor there is a downside price limit per individual model, and also if we sell individuals/clusters, we don't directly help planetside grow at all.  nor, do we produce a product that can really hit hard in realism.  1,300 plants inside terragen 2 - it gives some realworld options.  if you step outside - and count species - from your front door - you can perhaps hit 400 species of plants without looking too hard.  grasses alone. i am not saying that any of you want that sort of realism.  we are just trying to supply options, and i know - a lot of you are sore about the price and the bundle being so large with no other options.  we are looking into a way to give access to everyone the plants and at the same time be symbiotic with planetside.  like "walli" noted: we never said this is the only bundle we will ever offer.

one other thing (please), there is no statement of the price of the bundle changing in the press release or in this forum in May.  what was stated for certain is that tg2 will go up, and that anyone who hasn't purchased tg2, should consider buying it before late may.  bundle pricing is a decision that is open right now between planetside and xfrog.  i just want that it is clear that in no terms is the bundle intended as a "gun to your head 30 day squeeze to buy all plants now, or else" as a few people have written.  that would be a rather short sighted business idea to go thru all the effort to create a bundle.   we have been listening and posting info in this forum, not to upset, but to give you news as it is evolving.  whether that is good news or delays. mutual or solo.  with that said, we will release some more free plants monday.  as someone previously posted in the last thread before it was locked, 18 plants have been released from the 22 libraries in the past, (and you can see whether the quality is interesting for you or not), and more are coming.

i hope this can alleviate some of the issues raised by many terragen users.

XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Oshyan

We (Planetside) do intend to release a few more free plant models, however it was not specified to be upon release of TG2. The additional resources from Planaetside will be available soon.

- Oshyan

crystalwizard

Any possibility someone could point out where the older plants are?

chromecity

Well, there were 15 (5 species x 3 ages) that were linked to from the old Planetside site and are still linked to from Greenworks which can be found here.  (If you want to see where that link is published at Greenworks, it's in the beginning of the Older News topic here).  That "Sampler" includes 3 each of:  Sweet Birch, Blazing Star, Cleavers, Grand Fir, and Palmetto.  I am not aware of any other TGO plants from Xfrog that have been released.  If someone else knows of 18 somewhere else, please chime in.
Regards,

Jeff Andrews
Chrome City Studios / FX Models

jo

Hi,

The older 15 plant pack is available from the TG2 Free Edition download page:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/content/view/21/36/

Regards,

Jo