3gb switch will not work on my pc?

Started by Jack, May 03, 2009, 05:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

hello
I add this text
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB Switch" /fastdetect /3GB

to the boot.ini file but I restart my pc and i select the 3gb switch in the boot menu but when i select it the pc just reboots
what is going on?
I run amd cpu's is this the problem?
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Walli

I really can´t help much, just add some "experience" I collected. On one of my older machines I also had problems with the 3GB switch. Windows booted fine, but the graphics card made huge problems. Actually only the fan went mad and ran on full rpm and max resolution was 800*600.

So perhaps its one of your built in components that doesn´t like the switch.

neuspadrin

The 3gb switch can be very picky and dependent on hardware and drivers often.  Try checking for updates for any drivers you have.

Jack

Quote from: Walli on May 03, 2009, 09:52:26 AM
I really can´t help much, just add some "experience" I collected. On one of my older machines I also had problems with the 3GB switch. Windows booted fine, but the graphics card made huge problems. Actually only the fan went mad and ran on full rpm and max resolution was 800*600.

So perhaps its one of your built in components that doesn´t like the switch.
na my windows aint booting I had to use experiences tiny xp because you can install it on the same partition and it only takes a couple of minutes to install just so i could access the boot.ini and delete the 3gb swithch text
I have xp, vista and 7 64 bit versions would a 32 bit program be able to use 4gb of memory or will it still be limited to 2gb ??? I have 6gb of ram by the way
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

neuspadrin

If you got 6 gigs of ram, you should not be running any 32bit os's as you automatically loose 2+ gigs ram there. 

And yes, in 64bit you automatically will benefit to a up to a theoretical limit of 4gb limit for a 32 bit program (assuming the resources arnt being used by another program, etc etc).  Also you will have access to all 6gb in 64bit.  And with 64bit, once terragen builds a 64bit version, you will be able to utilize all 6gb (except whats being used by the os/other applications).

Oshyan

Note that, as I understand it, a 32 bit application will *still* be limited to 2GB in a 64 bit OS unless it has specifically compiled to be able to take advantage of "large address awareness". TG2 has fortunately been compiled in this way. ;) But many other applications aren't.

- Oshyan

Goms

@Oshyan: 2GB? Is there something i should know or did you just hit the wrong number?
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

Oshyan

No, 2GB is correct as per my understanding. Again that is for *standard* 32 bit applications that have *not* been compiled to be "large address aware".

- Oshyan

neuspadrin

Yeh Oshyan is right i forgot to mention that.  The program has to be large memory address aware to use over 2gb, and it has to be 64bit compiled to use more then 4gb.

Most programs that would ever need over 2gb is usually at least compiled large memory address aware, like tg2.