"Wet" shores - a tutorial for beginners

Started by kevnar, May 22, 2009, 01:05:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

I'd like to see this kind of tutorial ultimately added to the Wiki in full, rather than just being linked to the forum thread. Great, simple technique btw.

- Oshyan

digitalis99

I know this thread is archaic, but it's what I found in searching to get me going on getting realistic water effects.

The reason for my reply is to add one tidbit of information that will drastically reduce render times.  In addition to defining a maximum altitude for the "wetness" layer, you should definitely set a minimum altitude to be at or slightly below the level of your body of water with a fuzzyness of 0.  This will prevent the rendering engine from computing reflectivity for the surfaces under the water, which aren't actually reflective.  I found this out by mistake when my 20 minute render turned into an hour and a half render when I added the wetness shader.  Restricting the wetness to a minimum altitude as well dropped the render all the way back down to 21.5 minutes, but I get the proper effect where I need it.
Pixel Plow :: Render Endlessly :: http://www.pixelplow.net

kevnar

Yup. Adding a minimum reduces the render times greatly.  ;)

squirreltape

Very nice technique :)... I regret not seeing your post until just recently as I stumbled around for what could be considered 'longer than necessary' back in 2010 twiddling with my own very similar method (see attatched).

[attachimg=1]

Sorry for poking this thread but I'm excited that different people stumble across very similar techniques.

Mark
There are only 10 types of people in the world... those that understand binary and those that don't

Lady of the Lake

Thanks about the settings......I gave up when the render times were so great.  Will try again.

fleetwood

Another way to darken the wet surface layer is by using a negative value in the shader's Luminosity setting.