Cirrus Jetstreams

Started by littlecannon, January 26, 2007, 10:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlecannon

Hi All

A couple of people (including Dhavalmistry) have asked how I achieved the clouds in my Mt.St.Helens image over at MeltingIces's User Gallery. All I did was add high level cirrus clouds, changed the density fractal to perlin ridges and stretched the fractal along the z-axis by 3... and that's it. Here's a tgd file showing the technique. Hope you find it useful. This image was adjusted in photoshop (levels) to get the rich colour, it won't look like this when you render.

Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

Will

Neat that would look nice on a desert scene.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

king_tiger_666

i have to agree changing the levels in photoshop does wonders. but also changing curves instead of levels can achive a similar affect... and is worth a little experiment

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

tl33

king_tiger_666

i forgot about this but this is the example on my site showing what auto level can do... enchanced the render quite a lot

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~rawjdmbj/gallery/images/terragen/example/example.html
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

old_blaggard

Interesting - both the clouds and the levels example.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Mammoth

Good tip, it should help with improving the wispyness of my clouds.

littlecannon

Thanks everyone for your comments and I'm glad they came in useful.

Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

bigben

I came across a small problem with this clip file when rendered with detail = 1. [attachthumb=#1]

I tried numerous quality settings to try and get rid of it, but eventually I isolated it to the scaling of the cloud's density fractal. Using whole numbers would appear to be a bad idea. If you add a small increment to each of the numbers (0.01 - 0.03) this goes away.