There was an error saving the Project file

Started by typerextreme, May 04, 2009, 10:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

typerextreme

Ok not sure what has went wrong or if it's just my computer.
I was trying to save my project file for the first time (with this project).

I tried in two places, one in a folder inside my documents, and one in documents.
The file shows up in explorer, but i'm not sure if it's actually saving everything or not.

I've attached the message on my screen.

Reproducing my steps might be a bit of a problem since I'm not exactly sure everything I did.  I've left my TG2 open for later use since it's not saving (at least I think).

Sorry if this is a bit wordy.

Programs I had running (not everything, just what had a spot in taskbar)
---------------------------
-TG2
-AOL 9.5 Refresh Beta Download
-Google Chrome
-Avast! AntiVirus
-COMODO Antivirus+Firewall Free
-Threatfire
- Ad-Watch Live

My system specs are
----------------------
-PROCESSOR: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46Ghz
-RAM: 1.00 GB
-Windows Experience Index: 3.2 [Graphics is lowest item]
-Laptop
-about 1.5 years old
Computer stats

Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
RAM: 2gb
Video Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family 358 MB
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46 Ghz

neuspadrin

Try opening another instance of tg2 and loading the file you are trying to save, to see if it was actually saving. 

You also might want to try to close down some of those other programs first and see if it will save.

Also, its quite unwise to run multiple anti virus programs, as they often will eat eachother up, use up more resources, etc.

Oshyan

Are you using a non-English version of Windows or have any special characters in the path? Try saving to the C: root (it can be in a folder off the root).

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

What version of TG2 are you using exactly? You can see that on the splash screen or the About Box, which I think opens from the Help menu on Windows.

Regards,

Jo

typerextreme

To neuspadrin: I know I shouldn't run multiple anti virus programs, i just installed the COMODO one a week ago and needed to train it a little bit to get everything right.

My project did save in all the places i tried before reporting this, guess i should've thought about opening another terragen to check.  :)

To Oshyan: I'm using English. I tried saving in "C:\Documents\" [I think this folder is actually from my laptops manufacturer] and it didn't give an error of any form and the title bar has the location i saved in.

To Jo: "V2.0 (Build 2.0.3.1) Free" and yes it opens from the help menu.
Computer stats

Oshyan

Hmm, so I'm not entirely clear the results here. It sounds like it may have been a pathing issue? Can you reproduce this problem?

- Oshyan

typerextreme

Okay, i'll try and clarify here.

I opened another instance of tg2 and checked the other save files that had been left when the program reported the project file was damaged. All of these had in fact saved correctly. I just didn't know this at the time. When I had tg2 save into "C:\Documents\" (which already existed as a folder on my computer) it did not tell me the project was damaged, and changed the program title from "Terragen 2" to "Terragen 2 - C:\Documents\Untitled.tgd" like it has done when it saved correctly with no problems.

I don't honestly know what happened. I also do not know if I can reproduce it.

If you think it is something in the TGD file i can send you that.

By reproduce do you want me to attempt to retrace my steps in a new project, or just try saving in the same spots again with a blank project (or one with some changes from default)?

edit: ok i just tried saving a completely new (like just started tg2 and hit save) in "C:\Users\my username\blank.tgd". It gave me the same error.
Computer stats

Oshyan

If your username really does have a space in it as your example indicates, then that's probably the problem. TG2 doesn't handle spaces in paths very well at the moment. It's definitely on our fix list. If you can save properly to a path without spaces, then this is probably what's going on.

- Oshyan

typerextreme

Sorry Oshyan, i'm being a little misleading about the username b/c i don't want to give it away, it DOES NOT include spaces in it. The full path to the Documents folder has no spaces in it either. i should have labeled the spot a different way.
Computer stats

Oshyan

Hmm. Any special characters in your username then? Regardless, this sounds like a manifestation of an error we're aware of and will correct in the future. In the meantime a workaround is to save in a more simple folder structure.

- Oshyan

typerextreme

The username is Ian

So the path to my user folders would be : C:\Users\Ian\

I'm wondering if maybe my installation got corrupted by something. I'm attaching 2 pictures. One is the Process Access Rights on "C:\Program Files\Planetside Software\Terragen 2 Free Edition\tgd.exe" and the other is the Protection Settings on the same file. I don't know enough about this to know if it could be causing the problem.
Computer stats

Oshyan

It just seems so much like the known pathing issue, I'd be surprised if it was something more unusual. In any case you have a workaround, is that right?

- Oshyan

typerextreme

I never had the pathing issue before i upgraded to Gold edition. Um, yeah I have a workaround, i'll just save somewhere else not in my user folder.
Computer stats

Oshyan

Quote from: typerextreme on May 08, 2009, 11:11:05 PM
I never had the pathing issue before i upgraded to Gold edition. Um, yeah I have a workaround, i'll just save somewhere else not in my user folder.
Were you using the beta until you upgraded to "gold"? Or one of the prior Technology Previews? Did you get a chance to use 2.0.2.1 (the initial release), before upgrading to 2.0.3.1? If so, did the problem occur there too?

- Oshyan

typerextreme

I've used Tech preview 4 through Beta, then i got 2.0.3.1, somehow managed to skip 2.0.2.1 so I don't know if it would have happened in 2.0.2.1 although it never happened in tech preview 4, 5, or the beta

[edit]: as odd as this is going to sound, it works this time with no errors, at least the project i just saved in 4 places.
Computer stats