There was an error saving the Project file

Started by typerextreme, May 04, 2009, 10:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Very odd indeed! Let us know if it happens again.

- Oshyan

typerextreme

Quote from: Oshyan on May 10, 2009, 04:07:23 PM
Very odd indeed! Let us know if it happens again.

- Oshyan

Will do. I believe you can lock this now or whatever.
Computer stats

Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
RAM: 2gb
Video Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family 358 MB
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46 Ghz

typerextreme

>:( it happened again. but i'm going to remove all Terragen stuff from my comp with RevoUninstaller (not if this will make any difference later or not).
Once the Terragen stuff has been removed from my computer i will restart, and download a fresh copy of the terragen installer and run it.

I can't remember for sure about the previous time, but this time I have Snarl and Pidgin running, and it is possible i had Pidgin running before [it likes to hide with the other inactive stuff sometimes].  If I continue to have the problem, I will try turning off Pidgin before saving and if tg2 saves correctly, I will open Pidgin again, try and save the same project file and see if I get the error. All in all, I will post the results after I'm done.

I also noticed that the project file i saved last night that i turned around today and reopened had moved the camera entirely from the spot it was in. i can package everything up if you want. I have two versions of the project file, one has what i did last night, and the other is today's changes in an attempt to fix the position of the camera, which saved correctly [plus gave me the file save error, but it worked fine saving].
Computer stats

jo

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're still having problems. Can you remember where you tried to save the file?

TG2 has a safe save mechanism where the file first gets written to a temporary file and then placed where you want to save it. This way if something goes wrong when saving the file your original file ( if there is one i.e. this isn't the first save ) is untouched. I think this is probably what is causing you problems, but it would be great to know why it was causing you problems so I can fix it!

Regards,

Jo

typerextreme

Hi Jo, I really don't know whats causing the problem. Today was the first time it had the problem since May 11, 2009, 09:35:14 PM.

Um, I tried saving it here:
C:\Users\Ian\Documents\ian projects\terragen projects\prairie\prairie_1.tgd (i typed the _1, didn't use save incremental)

This was the first save with the filename prairie_1.tgd

I have uninstalled TG2 completely, reinstalled it, and am re-rendering my scene, which by the way saved fine both after I adjusted the quality of the render and after i adjusted the sun elevation. I have absolutely no clue what caused the problem. I'm leaning towards my system though. maybe too little memory or something of that nature.

Subsequent saves with prairie_1.tgd were fine after doing the uninstall, reinstall.

I don't think the camera issue is your department Jo, but it might be. If need be, I can open another topic.
------------

As for the camera placement issue, when I adjusted it and saved the file it kept the camera position fine, but the original (prairie.tgd) lost the values and placed it some distance from where it should have been.
Computer stats

Oshyan

I don't know if it's related, but you do appear to have a very low amount of RAM. Any reason you haven't upgraded that?

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

I'll have another tinker on Vista tomorrow to see if I come across any issues. The intermittent failure is a puzzling one. It could be related to running out of memory, but I don't think it's too likely.

Regards,

Jo

typerextreme

Oshyan: The reason is because i'm 17 and yet to get a job and my laptop according to Kingston Memory i can only go up to 2gb. Right now I have 1gb. Maybe i will eventually, although i hope to just get a new laptop, cause this one has a history of problems associated with it.

Jo: It could be memory though cause i know when i use tg2 my comp slows down a lot, occasionaly DEP kills tg2 for some reason. I never thought to look and see why. Although that was during the beta so i dont know now.
Computer stats

Oshyan

You should be able to add an exception to DEP for TG2. I'd recommend doing that.

RAM upgrades are pretty cheap right now. Depending on the system you can get a GB of RAM for less than $30. Have you looked at pricing for your specific model to upgrade?

- Oshyan

typerextreme

looked at it before replying, $28 for 1 unit or something like that, not entirely sure if its two 1gb blocks or one 1gb block that the package comes with.  and i might wind up buying one this summer, once i get a job.

I might just save up enough money to just buy a whole better laptop, mainly cause this one has decided to be a major butthole for anything and everything. It hates our home network and the other computers on it. So i'll probably wind up doing that and keeping this one for a backup or something.

I turned off the Application DEP, just left on hardware DEP.  It had an issue with my antivirus and kept terminating it while it was in the middle of a scan causing my computer to fail out the scan but at the same time keep it trying to scan. not fun at all.

Computer stats

typerextreme

*sigh*  :-\ It did it again. Although I've narrowed it down to two things possible.

1) Pidgin running at the same time as TG2.
2) Physical Memory usage: >= 90%
3) none of the above, and i don't have a clue what.

I've narrowed it down to these two because, in order to stop the message from appearing, I closed pidgin and watched the physical memory usage in task manager drop from 91% to 89%
Computer stats

Oshyan

It seems very likely that it's memory-related. Hopefully you can upgrade soon.

- Oshyan

typerextreme

I may have read the status bar wrong on task manager.

It says (these are averages)
Processes: ~ 55-60
CPU Usage:
        w/o TG2: ~ 8 - 40% (depending on if windows update is running or something else is uninstalling)
        w/ TG2: ~ 75 - 100% (depending on rendering or just letting 3d preview work)
Physical Memory: ~ 75% - 95%

Those numbers aren't exact, they are more just the common range. But what i told you earlier may have been wrong. Physical Memory may just be how much I have available atm. I'm not sure exactly how to interpret that number.
Computer stats

Oshyan

You want to look a the Physical Memory -> Available bit on the Performance tab of the Task Manager.

- Oshyan

typerextreme

Ok since I don't know how to read this i'll just attach the screenshot from reeeeally recently. like right when i got the email about the reply.
Computer stats