Documentation

Started by rcallicotte, May 05, 2009, 01:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Calico, I'm stumped as to why you're getting that problem. What browser are you using?

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Oshyan, I'm using Firefox.

Let me know if there's something you want me to try.  I'm in no hurry to contribute, but would like to do what I can.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

Quote from: calico on May 08, 2009, 07:43:25 AM
Oshyan, I'm using Firefox.

Let me know if there's something you want me to try.  I'm in no hurry to contribute, but would like to do what I can.
If you put a random username in, do you get an appropriate error message ("There is no user by the name "asdf". Check your spelling, or create a new account.")?

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Yes.  I used bologna_sauce and got this message -

Login error

There is no user by the name "bologna_sauce". Check your spelling, or create a new account.

rcallicotte

If I login without the correct password, I get this message -

Login error
Incorrect password entered. Please try again.

rcallicotte

Have I been locked out of this site?

Oshyan

Not that I'm aware of. Unfortunately this is a very generic error message and you seem to be the only one encountering it. We haven't restricted access to the Wiki to any particular member group, so that wouldn't be it. I'm honestly at a loss as to why it's happening. If anyone else is having problems, it would be great if they could let us know. I'll continue trying to look into this, but it's difficult without being able to reproduce the problem.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Web sites are what I do for a living and this looks like my user ID has been set for an exception so I can't login to the Wiki site.  That's what it looks like.  Let me know when I can participate.

PERMISSION ISSUE - http://mwusers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10703

Oshyan

I can assure you your account has not been denied access explicitly. What leads you to the conclusion that it's some kind of blocking on your account? It's a generic error message that could mean any number of things. Checking your account permissions, you are set exactly as the other people who have successfully accessed the system.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

I understand.  To clarify, permissions are sort of a strange ground and don't need to be explicitly set in most of these setups.  I'm not an expert in PHP, but that is what it looks like - a permissions issue, I mean.

Maybe this might help -

Where to set this error in the LocalSettings.PHP file - http://www.nabble.com/wgShowExceptionDetails-not-working-td9103927.html

Could there be something in the database that is different for me than other users?  Or could there be a miscommunication setup between database servers?

Should I clear cache...cookies? 

I tried on both IE6 and Firefox with the same results.

A long shot - Is there something in this following script that might be communicating something it shouldn't or that allows my account to be blocked or misdirected? -

<script type= "text/javascript">/*<![CDATA[*/
      var skin = "monobook";
      var stylepath = "/wiki/skins";
      var wgArticlePath = "/wiki/index.php/$1";
      var wgScriptPath = "/wiki";
      var wgScript = "/wiki/index.php";
      var wgVariantArticlePath = false;
      var wgActionPaths = {};
      var wgServer = "http://www.planetside.co.uk";
      var wgCanonicalNamespace = "Special";
      var wgCanonicalSpecialPageName = "Userlogin";
      var wgNamespaceNumber = -1;
      var wgPageName = "Special:UserLogin";
      var wgTitle = "UserLogin";
      var wgAction = "submitlogin";
      var wgArticleId = 0;
      var wgIsArticle = false;
      var wgUserName = null;
      var wgUserGroups = null;
      var wgUserLanguage = "en";
      var wgContentLanguage = "en";
      var wgBreakFrames = false;
      var wgCurRevisionId = 0;
      var wgVersion = "1.14.0";
      var wgEnableAPI = true;
      var wgEnableWriteAPI = true;
      var wgSeparatorTransformTable = ["", ""];
      var wgDigitTransformTable = ["", ""];
      var wgRestrictionEdit = [];
      var wgRestrictionMove = [];
      /*]]>*/</script>

I'll keep doing what I can on my end.  Now, I don't care about my contribution so much as why this is happening.  A real mystery.   :o

Quote from: Oshyan on May 10, 2009, 05:39:06 PM
I can assure you your account has not been denied access explicitly. What leads you to the conclusion that it's some kind of blocking on your account? It's a generic error message that could mean any number of things. Checking your account permissions, you are set exactly as the other people who have successfully accessed the system.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Planetside (Oshyan), please let me know what I need to do.  It's clearly something that is only affecting me and that means it isn't that difficult.  I'm beginning to wonder about what I'm doing here.  I'll do whatever you need me to do.

Oshyan

I need time to look into it. I think you've tried everything you can for now. The only other thing I'd suggest is creating a new account and testing with that. If it works with your new account then you must be right, some strange permission issue is occurring. If it does not work with the new account either, then... well, it will tell us something. ;)

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Hi, Oshyan.  I created a new account and got in just fine.

The new account login name is rob_bullpucky.   ;D

Oshyan

Thanks. That's definitely interesting. Permissions are identical according to the forum system. Different IPs (although your account seems to sometimes use the same IP). Did you use the same password for both?

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Different passwords.

Different IPs - home and work.