Inconsistent rendering of extra light

Started by helentr, January 28, 2007, 09:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helentr

Hi,

I made the below scene with the moon and a light. I rendered at a bigger size with no problem. Of course it needs a lot of improvements, for example I don't know why the moon shows so flat (the moon textures are from http://planetpixelemporium.com/earth.html) and the lamp model is too simplistic.
So, I tried to up the moon atmosphere details that I had zeroed before (thinking this was the reason for the light moon shadows, while it was the enviro light's fault) and tried a new render. The area around the lamp turned red. I reloaded the saved file, still red. I closed and reopened Terragen and the red persisted. An hour later, when I reopened Terragen and reloaded the same file, the red is gone. It renders normally as the first image.
Any clue on what might be wrong?
Also any clue on improving the moon's appearance would be welcome.
Maybe TGO should be on the permitted file types?

Helen

swiftstream

This looks like it might be that strange GI bug which shows up every now and then...

helentr

Quote from: swiftstream on January 28, 2007, 09:56:24 AM
This looks like it might be that strange GI bug which shows up every now and then...

Well, if you look at the TGD file, I don't have any GI enabled (unless I have missed something).

Helen

MeltingIce

Thats happened to me a couple of times too.  Try moving the light just a little bit, the red might go away.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

Will

wonder what cuases it I had the same proublem with a very large atmopshere.

Regards,
Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

JimB

Quote from: helentr on January 28, 2007, 09:21:44 AMfor example I don't know why the moon shows so flat (the moon textures are from http://planetpixelemporium.com/earth.html)
It looks like the texture is being projected through the camera, which is the default projection for textures, rather than cylindrically or spherically. You can find the projection options in your Image Map shader node.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

helentr

Quote from: JimB on January 28, 2007, 03:55:44 PM
Quote from: helentr on January 28, 2007, 09:21:44 AMfor example I don't know why the moon shows so flat
It looks like the texture is being projected through the camera, which is the default projection for textures, rather than cylindrically or spherically. You can find the projection options in your Image Map shader node.
It certainly looks like that, but if you look at the planet shader, the images are projected spherically. Well, I found the trick: I had applied a default shader and added the image and bump map with a spherical projection. This doesn't work and creates through the camera projection (maybe ...). What I should have done is to delete the default shader and put in its place an image map shader with the image and a spherical projection, plus change its location to the one of the planet coordinates (copy and paste). I left the size at 1. I added another image map shader for displacement. This worked.
So, it seems that all these little fruits on trees that use image maps and don't have UV will not be able to use spherical projection from the default shader - or did I understand it wrong?

As for the light artifacts, I checked off "do ray traced shadows" from the rendering settings and put the GI relative detail and GI surface quality at 0. I even upped the atmosphere quality. I moved the light around in small distances, but the problem remains: 1 out of about 3 times the scene renders without the red bug, but it is hit and miss. I have managed to collect 800 Mb of temp files from this  :(

Helen

helentr

I hope it is solved, anyway (touch wood ...).
Moving the camera (which was inside the terrain BTW  :-[) and increasing the light intensity tenfold made the red artifacts disappear - at least for this session. It doesn't look bad for a start.
Thank you for your suggestions. Time to sleep.

Helen

rcallicotte

Very good lighting.  I had problems with GI and textures.  Once I turned GI off, I was fine.  I wonder if being in the ground with your camera was the problem in this case.  Wish I understood it better
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?