Tutorials

Started by zhar2, May 09, 2009, 10:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zhar2

Ive seen wonderfull images made with terragen2 and im quite tempted to buy it, but ive tried it and it seems real tricky to use.

Is there a learning path to use, or are there various tutorials to help us out along?

Another question, can u export the terragen land scapes as height fields and map textures to be used in programs like max?

Hetzen

There is a learning curve associated with TG2 unfortunately, but the tutorials in the documentation area will give a good steer. You'll sometimes find yourself going back to them every once in a while to remind yourself of certain things. I think getting a good grasp on the Powerfractal Function (especially how the scale side works) would be a good priority, because most things start from there. Also, some nodes (like base colour) is actualy just a Power Fractal renamed, which tripped me up a few times. Then the surface layer I'd suggest being the next thing to look at, this will allow you to set conditions like height, slope etc to apply distortions, colour, etc. to your terrain. The child input is very useful on this node.

As for exporting to Max, yes you can, with the LWO Micro Exporter, this will export a mesh which you'll have to convert in something like Posray. Do a search for it in the forums, there's some good advice kicking about.

Aagam

Terragen 2 has a fairly mighty learning curve, at least it did with me. I've been using the program for 2 years and I'm still scratching the surface; granted, I only play with it in my spare time, which there is very little of  ;D

There are some tutorials scattered around, including several found in the documentation area of the forum. Once you get a hang of the node network and what each function does, things start to make more sense. What's great about the program is you can get amazing results regardless of your skill level. For example, making a simple landscape with a sunset is very easy and just takes, at most, a few hours of looking around the program. Of course, to get some of the amazing results you can see around this forum, that takes months and months of playing around.

I've been very happy with the program since I purchased it two years ago, in fact,  I just recently purchased the Animation upgrade. So yes, it does take time, but that's what makes the experience interesting and fresh.

As for exporting to Max, as Hetzen says, you sure can. I haven't really played with that much, but I know it's possible.

neuspadrin

Theres quite a few tutorials scattered around these forums, little tid bits here and there.  Also, if you have any questions we have quite a community of people here willing to help when Planetside isn't quick to respond (they are a small company, but will try to respond quick and help).  

Theres a few tutorials on the wiki, and some in the guide area on the forums.

Also if you can wait about 2 weeks, I've got a little something up my sleeve for beginners but it's still in early stages and I've had to put it on hold for this week (exam week), and it might take a bit longer (gotta move out, then move to nc for my co-op).

But my goal is to try to complete my little tutorial for beginners in about 2 weeks.

But overall, the program makes it very easy to get good results with a low learning curve.  But to get exceptional results that you sometimes see from certain members can take a quite a bit of time to learn the ins and outs of the program.

FrankB

from another perspective, one could argue that a program with a very small learning curve is probably very limited in its abilities.
To be fair, you need to define "learning curve". My take is that it is very easy to get decent results, which only take you a day to understand the program basics.
Then, gradually, as you become interested in doing some of the more advanced stuff, you begin to learn the next bit. Also takes you another day. Each bit probably just takes an hour or a day. So you are having success all the time, as you enjoy rendering with this great piece of software.
On the opposite, you will probably frustrate yourself if you are taking on too much in the beginning. My advice would be not to try all things at once. Make a simple picture first, and work on making the exact same image better and better, only changing one parameter at once. If you follow this advice, you will be really fast learning Terragen.
The things that help you discover the new stuff for yourself are this forum, the documentation (linked to from the planetside company page under "help"), the user wiki (on the same page), and a few other pages and tutorials you will find all over the web.

I wish you a happy start with TG2. Welcome!

Frank

rcallicotte

My observation -

• Learn a couple of basic tutorials, even if it seems humbling
  • Learn some terrain tricks from Volker, Seth, TU, FrankB, other geniuses here
  • Learn some lighting and atmsopheric from Phylloxeria and Seth (and other appropriate brilliant people here)
  • Have fun...

Quote from: zhar2 on May 09, 2009, 10:19:48 AM
Is there a learning path to use, or are there various tutorials to help us out along?

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

once you understand the basics, everything is getting easier.
i really suggest you to follow every tutorials you can find, starting with basics one (like http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=19.0)
tutorials are really well done and i learnt a lot from them.
and feel free to ask for advices on the forum, a lot of people are very willing to help ;)

arisdemos

Terragen2 has proven to me that not only Englishmen and mad dogs will lie in the noonday sun, other than that ....come on in the waters fine!.

JimAward

I'm new to Terragen 2 too. Playing intuitively with it a couple of weeks - in a sort of trial and error manner - I had some satisfying results. Then I made a start studying the node network. That was a kind of overwhelming, realizing there are so many possibilities and combinations: building a canyon with function nodes or just with shader... In fact I have no technical background nor am I talented in mathematics. I work as a cartographer and graphic designer. I always had an intuitive approach to graphical and 3D software. In that sense Terragen Classic was quite easy for me. In my opinion Terragen 2 can be approached in an intuitive way (it is slow!) but it is very very technical as well. It's hard for me to understand the node concepts, especially the mathematical ones.

And here is my question: do I have to thoroughly understand this app in a mathematical way to build those killer scnenes? I already learned quite a lot from the TGD's in the file sharing section (thanks for sharing, this is a fine community), but I don't think I could build these networks myself.
Well, I am addicted already, there is no way back :). Please some advice. Thanks!

neuspadrin

Really the only time you need to know crazy math is if you want to create some really cool tricks with terrain.  You can do excellent renders without ever touching math really, especially if you get some nice DEM data or something to base off.  Many of the excellent renders are more of a good sense of placement, and what values work best, which comes a lot by trial/error/tweaking.

Also if you want you can post a WIP in the image section, and ask a question like "how would i get x to look more yish", and I'm sure someone will be able to pop in and be like "oh just move the z slider to a lower range" or something ;)

Hetzen

Got to say I'm not really a maths head either, but I do know what a sine wave does. That being said, the last image I posted here had absolutely no blue nodes in it what so ever. What I would suggest is just try plugging a power fractal into the planet input, with the displacement set to 0 and both colours switched on, so that you can see the black and white noise on the floor of the planet. Then start working out how you can manipulate that fractal through the scales and tweak settings. You'll start to find how to make certain patterns. Then turn on the displacements, and see what those settings do. Then start modulating those patterns with another PF.... It wasn't until I understood what I was playing with and how to play with it, that I then started getting more comfortable with applying those patterns to a scene and not feeling so blind.

FrankB

that's a great advice, actually.

Hetzen

Quote from: FrankB on May 11, 2009, 06:31:40 PM

Lol, I was looking at your quartz textures and thinking how the hell did he get that procedurally, they look fantastic, this guy really sets the bar (which you do), then you shattered my illusion by saying you used texture maps!! There you go, there's loads of ways to skin a cat. ;D

JimAward

Yeah, step by step, trial and error... patience patience ;) That's the way I guess. Thanks for the advice, guys.
Have a look at my last post by the way. Cheers,
Jop

FrankB

Quote from: Hetzen on May 11, 2009, 07:01:46 PM
Quote from: FrankB on May 11, 2009, 06:31:40 PM

Lol, I was looking at your quartz textures and thinking how the hell did he get that procedurally, they look fantastic, this guy really sets the bar (which you do), then you shattered my illusion by saying you used texture maps!! There you go, there's loads of ways to skin a cat. ;D

;D ... made me smile. But I think I can also do it procedurally - pretty simple too. So there's hope for more illusion ;D