Ok to put Windows and MAc on same Terragen 2 renderfarm?

Started by Adam Chrystie, January 27, 2007, 12:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Chrystie

Hello all,

I'd like to put together a renderfarm of Mac and Windows machines that I might have availavle
and was wondering if the rendered output from the two differrent machines
is known to be differrent or not?

--------------------
Adam Chrystie
3D Artist & Infrastructure/Pipeline Developer

old_blaggard

With TG2 being truly universal, there won't be much of a problem within Terragen.  However, if you are using different processor families (ie PPC vs Intel) the output might be slightly different just because the processors handle numbers slightly differently.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Oshyan

We are aiming to have the rendered output from Mac and PC be virtually identical, but I believe there are currently some differences which may show up. This would likely be exasperated by differing CPU architectures - x86 vs. PPC - as old_blaggard mentioned.

- Oshyan

Adam Chrystie

what would be great is if the rendered output of Mac OS X would be identical to the output of terragen rendered on linux via command line.

And if not identical very very very similar might be good enough.....

Or better yet a full blwon version of Terragen for Linux.

Why?

Many studios like the idea of Mac workstations but they are a wee bit more costly so the renderfarms are usually linux or windows based or the machiens have a dual boot ability which is tied in to the renderfarm. That could change though if Apple release a renderNode type setup which was competative to the generic Pc hardware.

just my two cents...
--------------------
Adam Chrystie
3D Artist & Infrastructure/Pipeline Developer

old_blaggard

*Puts on Mac cap* Well, actually, the new Intel machines, especially the quad-core Mac Pros, are cheaper in terms of price/performance *takes off Mac cap*.  As for simply rendering between operating systems, the difference in output should be minimal because both platforms are based off of the same code.  Finally, Planetside said that they would be working on a command-line renderer for Linux, which should be plenty for people with Linux rendering nodes.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.