Getting started with Trees

Started by jwdenzel, December 21, 2006, 02:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwdenzel

Hi everyone,

Because the documentation isn't quite finshed yet, could somebody point me in the general direction on how to create a forrest of trees on my landscape? Also rocks, shrubs, or whatever.

Thanks
Jason
www.spectre-movie.com
www.argonaut-ent.com

littlecannon

I second that.... one of you gurus out there know how to do this. Go enlighten us... it's Christmas.

Thanks,
Simon.
(littlecannon)
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

Oshyan

There's a nice little tutorial contributed by Gary Poole in the documentation area under User-created tutorials:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=63

Hopefully that will help for now. Updates coming soon.

- Oshyan

manleystanley

Actually it's easy. the hard part is finding a .obj plant that dosen't crash it on render. On the TG2 download page there is a link to some Xfrog plant that are for TG2.
Click add object,select population, select obj reader or tgo reader; for the Xfrog plants. Now if you have imported a .obj plant click render, if TG2 crashes then that object wont work.
Ok, lets assume TG2 didn't crash  ;D  In your default view in the preview window you should see the area bounding box and in the lower left corner is your "field"; the area where you objects will be. Now reset your area center to 4500,0,4500. This will move your field to the center of the area bounding box. Now you could rest your area a and area b to 8000, but note that it takes a lot of instences to fill this area, and your machine may not beable to handle it. Now if you are doing terss and you don't want them too close together set ogject spacing to 50; adjust to suit, but note decreasing spacing increases instances. Now check preview instenses. Don't try to do much with it selected as it really slows you down.
To avoid filling the 8000 square feild. leave the area a and b at 1000. Find your shot, point of view, then click set camera, zoom back out and now you will see where you camera is set up. now rest your area of center till it is in front of the camera. then increase area a and b to fill the shot.
I haven't done it yet, but I supose you could Use density shader, create new shader, surface shaider, surface layer, then goto surface layer and set slope and hight restraints.
I haven't tried it yet beacuse I'm stuborn and I keep trying to render that feid of wheat with the area at 8000sqr, and TG2 keeps saying "I don't think so"  :D
The things that happen while your typing  ;D
"So you think you can tell, heaven from hell, blue skys from pain.
can you tell a green field, from a cold steel rail? a smile from a veil?
do you think you can tell?" P.F.

jwdenzel

Thanks for replying everyone. I'll try out the tutorials provided.

So it basically sounds like TG2 does not provide the actual trees, rocks, or whatever.  It allows you to import an .OBJ file and then will duplicate (instance) them over a defined area.   Is that right?

Sounds very cool.  Now the trick is to find the right OBJ's. :)

-Jason
www.spectre-movie.com
www.argonaut-ent.com

Oshyan

Yes, that's correct. The only built-in vegetation at this time is the "grass clump", which is a simple grass which can work for ground cover, but doesn't hold up under closer scrutiny.

- Oshyan

manleystanley

Oshyan

Go into the Grass Clump internal network by right-clicking the node in the network view and going to Internal Network, or click the small Node button next to the node name in the settings panel on the left. This will show you the internals of that object. You should now see a Default Shader. Doube-click to open its settings and then change color. Viola! You can also use images to control color as well as set translucency and opacity.

- Oshyan

manleystanley

Cool, thanks. Too bad I can't import Carrara 5 shaders. ;D