Green Hill WIP [update 2009-12-11]

Started by Walli, May 12, 2009, 03:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walli

I understand this fear. But there always will be different types of users:

-klickibuntis, they don´t have time and/or knowledge to build own content, so they get free and commercial packs, put them together and press render. More like virtual photography. If its done well, why not? If they have fun doing so, then its okay, even if the results might not be pleasing to most other people. Some do really great pictures this way. The only thing i don´t like about that is, if people claim they do it all on their own

- dedicated hobby users. They do must stuff themselves and sometimes add free and commercial content. Thats also great. Sometimes they refine those models they get - even better. Sometimes they use such packs to study and learn - perfect

-professionals, they do whatever to get the job done in time and in budget. This often means that they use presets.

I don´t think that the Terragen community will ever get a pure "klickibunti" community. It will be a mixture and I hope it will be a healthy mixture. And I always plan to distribute a mixture of objects, both free and commercial - and I hope that people like both ;-)

Sorry if my answer before was to harsh!

FrankB

sharing will stay important in this community. I am sharing (hopefully useful) things myself. For example, just a few minutes ago, I have uploaded another neat little preset to the file sharing area: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=6432.0

Walli is completely right with his assessment of the situation. I agree though that his thread here should not be hijacked for this sort of discussion.

Cheers,
Frank

Walli

well, I guess its up to me to show pictures of progress to bring this thread back on topic ;-)

arisdemos

One comment befor we get this thread back on the "grass," and that important concept that has been alluded to but no very well covered here is cost. The real cutting question here for most of us is affordability not purity of purpose or "art!". I buy presets from time to time if, and only if they are one, cheap, and two, objects appropriate to my graphics agenda.  I find the need to modify almost anything I buy to suit my purpose, and so I am mostly willing to put out small amounts of money for what I would call unfinished products. I do this out of economic criteria, because I cannot afford the more polished models like Xfrog vends. I guess what I am trying to say to the small but growing group of what I call the Terragen "Carpetbaggers" is keep your prices and commercial thrusts within proper proportion for this forums educational taste/flavor and pocketbbooks, and I think we will all just get along fine.

FrankB

Hi all,

I have put Walli's grass models (a beta version of the models, although I have no idea what's beta about them  ;) ), in a simple scene together with Ryan's dirt surface (beta too), and made a quick render to demonstrate how these models compare. These are 10 models in total, 3/3/4 versions of 3 kinds of species. From the render, to me is apparent that a lot of love and experience went into making these. We will share individual close-up renders of the models later.

Cheers,
Frank

neuspadrin

Grass looks great walli, and would love to see the progress.

Also, as for commercial interests vs educational, im more likely to buy decently priced objects and presets if they members also often offer free tidbits to learn from/use too... assuming i have a little spare cash at the moment ;).  

But overall, often I would love to buy much of whats available, just don't have anywhere near the cash for it.

*saw the new post above*
;D ;D

domdib

And let's not forget Ryan's soil, which also looks pretty good. So Ryan is working on textures - any chance of that excellent tarmac?  ;)

FrankB

probably ;D

.. but I better let Ryan speak to that.

darthvader

Those models look great, same with the dirt! Frank, would you mind if I asked what quality settings those were rendered at?

FrankB

it had GI 2/2, supersample on, render quality 0.9, soft shadows on.

Cheers,
Frank

darthvader

FrankB

Oshyan

Great looking grasses! Can't wait for these to become available. :)

Btw NWDA folk, what about an appropriately priced "subscription" to all your content for x number of months, or even a year?

- Oshyan

neuspadrin

Quote from: Oshyan on May 15, 2009, 01:30:56 AM

Btw NWDA folk, what about an appropriately priced "subscription" to all your content for x number of months, or even a year?

ohh i like that idea.

RArcher

Domdib:  It is very very likely that the tarmac will be making an appearance  ;)  There should be some teasers coming soon...

But back on track for Walli's  image, I can tell you guys that you are going to absolutely love the grasses.