Mountain experiment

Started by mhaze, July 24, 2009, 03:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Hi

Can anyone suggest a way forward?

As you can see I have managed to get cracks in the rocks in my landscape by the use of scaled power fractals. These give me cracks in the x and z directions  I would like to be able to rotate or better still distort them with a sin wave. All my attempts have so far have been in vain.

Mick

Hetzen

I'm not entirely sure what you've done so far, are "x/z cracks" power fractals or image maps?

I'm also not sure I'd want to go in this direction anyway. Have you tried using a "compute normal" then a stretched PF (in x/z) on "displace laterally" ?

mhaze

They are powerfractals. Yes I've tried compute normal, functions, warp, redirect and displace shaders. I'm sure it's possible to rotate the mask.

I've tried converting the B/W output from the PF to vector, rotating it and then converting back but all I get is a coloured rather than B/W PF mask.

Comming to the conclusion it ain,t possible.

I managed to warp the PF with another used as a blend shader but strangely it didn't show up.

Mick

Hetzen

The Warp shader needs displacement rather than colour on the Warp input, the Shader input is where you plug in what you want to be warped.

So what is the image mask for?

mhaze

There is no image mask - the attached B/W pic is the output from two streched power fractals put through a merge shader. Now I want to rotate the output through 45 degrees.

mhaze

to make it easier I've attached the tgd

Hetzen

I'm rendering something at the moment, so can't look at the .TGD. But I think I understand what you're trying to do now.

Try this...

After your compute terrain (which is after your basic landscape displacements), add a surface layer. Then attach a PF to the SL displacment input. In that PF stretch your noise in the x and z, and maybe compress the y. Back in the surface layer, in the displacement tab, change the displacment direction to "Lateral (requires compute normal)" and welly up the setting to 100 just to see if it works. Now you should see the PF displacing stuff sideways through Y.

Hetzen

To get the cross scratch effect, now put in a Compute normal after the previous surface layer, then add another surface layer in exactly the same way as above with a new PF with the noise streched in the Y and maybe compressed in X/Z. This time put a negative displacement in both surface layers, your noise should now cut into your landscape.

mhaze

Interesting effect but lateral displacement doesn't rotate the PF output. I have already worked out how to get the cracks in the landscape - now I want to modify and distort the effect.

Hetzen

Is this what you're trying to do? The effect is limited to slope in the surface layers, rather than it working on everything.

mhaze

As I said in my previous post and intersting effect but it does not rotate th PF output. However it's given me an idea of how to solve another problem - thanks