NWDA image contest - The WINNERS

Started by FrankB, May 12, 2009, 05:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Never crossed my mind...

Quote from: FrankB on May 13, 2009, 10:58:51 AM
it's very theoretical at this point, but just in case, IF you win, don't be so quick to judge that there would not be anything useful for you.
Cheers
Frank
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

mindsap

Quote from: dandelO on May 13, 2009, 10:54:31 AM
Maybe I will... ;) (don't worry, I wouldn't sell your prizes, I may donate them to charity, though.)

I'm retired on a fixed income.... :-[
Once a King always a King but once a night is enough...

Mandrake

Frank..
You don't mention anything about text submittal.

Title:
Description:
Node construction:
Render time:
Credits:
Or if you would post anything of that nature if it was included.

Kenny

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Mandrake on May 13, 2009, 02:08:08 PM
Frank..

Title:
Description:
Node construction:
Render time:
Credits:

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for thinking along with us. I think your suggestion is a good one.
Things like node construction can be explained in the description however, unless you have a special idea about it.
I'll get in touch with Frank about text submittal.

In the meantime it's best for everyone to focus on getting started ;)

Martin

arisdemos

I think I like the subject (realism), and the two divisions sound fair to all. So lets hear and see what happens. I was hoping there was some way to get TU's snow pack without paying him.

FrankB

Quote from: arisdemos on May 13, 2009, 02:54:19 PM
I think I like the subject (realism), and the two divisions sound fair to all. So lets hear and see what happens. I was hoping there was some way to get TU's snow pack without paying him.

Why? He's a particularly nice guy and the pack is really worth it. ;)
Also as a side effect, you get the chance on the extended prize.

That said, with a lot of time and effort, you could probably get there on your own, so there's choice :)
Either way, I appreciate that you are interested in participating. Thanks.

Cheers,
Frank

arisdemos

My statement was to mostly express a serious admiration for TU's fine creation (within the prize package)in particular, rather than any true ambition to deprive him of his well deserved profits. When Tu first posted this snow pack I made a comment to him at the time that I would like to understand more about how he had gone about making the thing. When the sales pitch was posted later on in conjuction with your web page offerings I understood why we on the forum had not been enlightened for free on that procedural breakthrough by TU.

I think any folk who are somewhat more interested than others in the commercial potential of this forum might get in closer tune with a potential customer's playful sense of monetary self interest.  Maybe this none commercially inclined user just felt the need to poke a little fun at what he perceives as possibly this contest sponsorships vendorlly ambitions.  Because of one of two contest divisions being assigned to the none customer forum membership I assume that you are not interested in seperating the sheep from the goats so to speak.  So with your indulgence I will throw my hat in the ring in the same spirit as I did for the LOTRs thing, and hope for a greater/better participation of forum competitors.

FrankB

Quote from: Mandrake on May 13, 2009, 02:08:08 PM
Frank..

Title:
Description:
Node construction:
Render time:
Credits:

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

thanks for reminding us. The necessary information that should be submitted with the image is:
- Image title
- Your name
- NWDA tech pack(s) used, if applicable

Thanks,
Frank

FrankB

I havent expected that so quickly, but hey: We have our first contest submission! :)
Great job, Hannes, thanks for participating!!!

Here is the link to the image: http://nwda.webnode.com/nwda-image-contest/

Cheers,
Frank

PS: it's probably worth mentioning that we don't mind if you show your renders here in the forums first, and even discuss it with others.
The only thing we won't want is submissions of any old and previously published renders - where previously means "published before the contest was announced".

Seth

Hannes

Thanks and merci beaucoup! I just started to make this picture when I read about this contest. I had this strong Indiana Jones feeling inside my mind.

rcallicotte

Frank, I need to clarify something before I continue.  I'm blocking out my image from Terragen into sections of the TG2 screen, so I'll have more than one render from the same screen in TG2.  I'll need to reassemble these in Photoshop.  This should be okay, right?  To be clear, I'm talking about splitting up the render in TG2 to help with render times, etc.  But, the only thing I'm planning to do in Photoshop is reassemble the rendered images from TG2.

I'll probably use Photomatix for lighting.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: calico on May 17, 2009, 11:05:25 AM
Frank, I need to clarify something before I continue.  I'm blocking out my image from Terragen into sections of the TG2 screen, so I'll have more than one render from the same screen in TG2.  I'll need to reassemble these in Photoshop.  This should be okay, right?  To be clear, I'm talking about splitting up the render in TG2 to help with render times, etc.  But, the only thing I'm planning to do in Photoshop is reassemble the rendered images from TG2.

If your splitting up rendering of a single image and reassembling it in Photoshop, I see no problem with that.

As you can read in the contest rules we do not want elements to be added in postwork, like moons, vehicles etc.
For example, the airplane in Hannes' image must have been rendered in TG2 to pass these rules. And it was :)

FrankB

Quote from: calico on May 17, 2009, 11:05:25 AM

I'm not sure I understand your question, but if you mean the image could have been rendered in one shot, but for saving time you split the render process into two passes, I see no problem with that.
But what splitting could you possibly do other than cropping? For example, if you render a flat landscape in one render, and an object against a white background in another render, then glue these two render outputs together in post... that's not allowed. That's adding stuff to a scene.
Maybe you should explain this a little bit more to me old guy. ;)

Frank

rcallicotte

@TU - Yes.  This is what I meant.

@Frank - LOL  What I mean is cropping out the renders for rendering.  I couldn't tie up my computer to do the entire render in one setting.  For example, one of these renders was about 48 hours by itself.  :)  I've also found that if I crop an object and render it separately that it sometimes gives better sharpness to the model.  This is so subjective that maybe I'm wrong, but I believe the GI is calculated differently in crops, right?  Anyway, nothing in Photoshop, except mending cropped images and I'll use Photomatix for my lighting variation fixes.